Applying auto improvement for Doom 3 sounds — OGG,22050 Hz

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

DOOMGABR [RU]

Applying auto improvement for Doom 3 sounds — OGG,22050 Hz

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Current quality is pretty ugly w/o GZDoom's filters. The thing is their quantity accounts for 4000. Default filter packs for Doom Sound (WAV, 8-bit, Mono, 11025 Hz) will do, I think.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Applying auto improvement for Doom 3 sounds — OGG,22050

Post by Rachael »

I am sorry, I don't know if this is a language barrier issue but this message is incomprehensible. Can you rephrase and elaborate in greater detail about what you mean?
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Sorry me for my shitty English. Take two.
Sounds from vanilla doom (WAV, 8-bit, Mono, 11025 Hz) automatically improving in GZDoom. I want the same applying GZD's sound filters for Doom 3 sounds with parameters OGG,22050 Hz. Current quality of these sounds is pretty ugly (D3 has about 4300 sounds).
Last edited by DOOMGABR [RU] on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

GZDoom is not a Doom 3 project so it does not apply changes to Doom 3 in any way. You would have to contact the author of OpenAL-Soft about this but that is beyond the scope of GZDoom.
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

so it doesn’t apply changes to Doom 3 in any way
Naturally! I'm writing in the topic "Feature Suggestions", not "Bugs".
I am sure that GZDoom's filters are applied automatically to sounds with specific parameters (format, bit rate, frequency), aren't they? I even checked. I slightly changed the bitrate of Vanilla Doom sounds (converted to WAV) and the sound stopped improving by GZD's filters.
I doubt that contacting OpenAL's developer is necessary in my case. This is just a request to add the improvement of the sounds of the original game by id Software.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sorry, but I don't think this has any merit.
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Ok, I understood you.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

DOOMGABR [RU] wrote:I am sure that GZDoom's filters are applied automatically to sounds with specific parameters (format, bit rate, frequency), aren't they?
They are filtered according to the resampler option. The default is linear interpolation, though the most true-to-source method OpenAL Soft has available is 23rd Order Sinc. But since the sounds are only 11khz to start with, there is no high frequency content and the better resamplers will make it sound muffled. The linear and nearest resamplers add noise to the sounds as a result of inaccurate sample reconstruction, which may or may not sound good depending on your preferences. The only way to truly improve the sound quality is to go to the original high-fidelity recordings, before they were down-sampled to 11khz. Per Kristian did that and made a mod for it.

For Doom 3 sounds, since they're 22khz they already start with twice the frequency content as the original Doom sounds. The resampler has less to add, so it adds less noise (and the more true-to-source resamplers will sound less muffled). But similar to Doom, the only way to truly improve the sounds is to get the original high-fidelity recordings from before they were down-sampled to 22khz.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

As far as I can understand, this guy likes the way unfiltered resampling works, so yeah for 11kHz there is more of that "nice noise" hehe.
Resample your doom 3 samples to 11khz at first and they're gonna sound as if they would come from the original doom
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Chris and Darkcrafter, thanks! Will 11025Hz do for GZD's resampler? And what bit rate I should set?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

DOOMGABR [RU] wrote:Will 11025Hz do for GZD's resampler? And what bit rate I should set?
I'm not sure what you mean. The resampler itself doesn't have a sample rate, it works by changing the input sound's sample rate to the output device's sample rate.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”