64-bit integer types in ZScript

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

64-bit integer types in ZScript

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I noticed recently that there's no (u)int64 in zscript. Any reason why? I'd expect functions like MSTime() to use it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: 64-bit integer types in ZScript

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ask Randi!

I guess the main problem was that when the VM was written, 64 bit wasn't on the radar. Remember: ZDoom never had a 64 bit release. Even 2.8.1 was strictly 32 bit only.
But as things are, the VM has no instructions for 64 bit math - presumably because they'd perform like crap on a 32 bit system - and I never bothered adding them - I still won't unless I can ditch 32 bit support entirely, because adding this will have an adverse impact on 32 bit VM performance, and probably will add a lot of hassle to the WIP JIT compiler.

If we could go 64 bit exclusively, things might change, but we still have 4% of 32 bit users - that's a bit high for dropping support.
(That said, the upcoming Vulkan renderer most certainly will be 64 bit exclusively, both to save work and because less than half of the 32 bit users could run it. Those few who run an obsolete OS with modern enough hardware really need to move on.)

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”