Customizable tick duration in mapinfo

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Apeirogon

Customizable tick duration in mapinfo

Post by Apeirogon »

Just a new entry/line in mapinfo, which change tick duration for emulating ports of doom and/or other games and/or "cinematographic" mods which use models instead of sprite.
Like console i_timescale, but defined in mapinfo, not in the console.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Customizable tick duration in mapinfo

Post by Major Cooke »

Not possible. Doom has to rely on a solid 35 tics per second, unfortunately.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

But the functionality already exists in i_timescale, does it not? I can make a TC where everything is scaled to go half the speed it would in Doom (and set all gravity properties to half of what they "should" be for 35fps), then tell everyone to run it at i_timescale 2 and get effectively a mod with a playsim that runs at 70 tics a second.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

That... would actually be pretty damn cool. You'd have to do a LOT of work under-the-hood to make sure everything behaved as expected, but if you're willing to put in the effort then it seems perfectly reasonable to create arbitrary-ticrate mods.

Perhaps someone should create a proof-of-concept mod so this has a chance of being labeled as a useful feature? Of course, the issue with the menus/UI being negatively affected by the ticrate would need to be addressed.

8-)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Careful! There's a lot of potential problems lurking here. Make the tic rate too high and the system performance may go down the drain. Make it too low and the game will become sluggish. Even if implemented this will not be usable to create a 60 or 100 Hz ticker without running into performance issues because the play code needs to run more often.

And of course all real-time values need some fixing.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Fixing the controls/input and the console animation speed would be a good start...
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I think integral values between 25 to 50 are reasonable - if this is EVER even implemented.

But don't come under the delusion that i_timescale is a proof of concept of a customizable tic rate - it's not! It's a hack that literally fucks with GZDoom's ACTUAL TIMER. For basic proof, run "vid_fps true" when "i_timescale" is not 1.

This is not a vector by which you can implement a feature like this, so don't even consider it.

i_timescale is a debug variable. Nothing more. It will never BE anything more. It's not supported for general use, outside of testing and debugging. It will NEVER be officially sanctioned. Please don't tell users to change it just for the sake of your mod.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I mention i_timescale as example, not as "allow change i_timescale console variable from mapinfo". INGLESH IS HARD, so I probably incorrectly express myself.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I wasn't yelling at you, Apeirogon and I am sorry I gave that appearance.

It was this post that got my fiery response:
Matt wrote:But the functionality already exists in i_timescale, does it not? I can make a TC where everything is scaled to go half the speed it would in Doom (and set all gravity properties to half of what they "should" be for 35fps), then tell everyone to run it at i_timescale 2 and get effectively a mod with a playsim that runs at 70 tics a second.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”