Traveling between maps without losing progress on them.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

DoomKrakken

Traveling between maps without losing progress on them.

Post by DoomKrakken »

Dear developers...

If such a method doesn't already exist, I would like to request for a way to be able to travel between non hub-linked maps... in the way that you can travel to a different map and then back to the former map without having to completely restart said former map.

If there is indeed a way to do this, please let me know! If there isn't, can we have this sort of feature built in to GZDoom?

Updated title to fit more with what I want.
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arctangent

Re: Making hubs out of non hub-linked maps...

Post by Arctangent »

This is literally the entire purpose of hubs. They tell the engine to save the current map's current state even after the player leaves it, so without the engine knowing it needs to do so ... well, there's no previous state to return to aside from a complete restart.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Except, here's the thing... I want to be able to do this with any map. Like the maps of Doom2.wad, for example...

I don't want to have to create a completely different mapset that has to include the "hub" keyword in order for me to traverse seamlessly between maps without losing progress on maps I've left.

There's a mod I'm working on which would come with some of its own maps, yet it'd be playable on just about any mapset. There's an item that the player can interact with, which would cause the player to traverse to one of the custom maps. I'd want there to be a way to traverse back from that custom map to whatever map he was previously on prior to leaving to the custom map, without having lost progress on said map.
Nash

Post by Nash »

What would be more useful is a way to additively apply MAPINFO changes to existing map definitions, a "plug in" of sorts if you will.

If such were possible, you'd merely be able to do something like this in your plugin MAPINFO:

Code: Select all

Cluster 666
{
    Hub
}

AddDefaultMap
{
    Cluster = 666
}

This issue has been brought up several times in the past and unfortunately, not much has been invested into it:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35343
viewtopic.php?p=948276#p948276 (Rachael's post)
viewtopic.php?p=822827#p822827
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

MAPINFO extension aside, the request here is quite contradictory. What you want is to have a hub without having a hub. That cannot work. In order to use hub features the map needs to be part of a hub because the engine needs to know what to track.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If you're doing a forced hub setup, you need some way to backtrack, anyway...
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The best you might get is the DoomRPG way, which had an outpost map you traveled to after each completed level (done by warping the player there at the start of the next map) or at will, which of course cleared the progress in the current map and also did not complete it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

My end goal was to create Rune Trial maps that could be accessible from any map, wherever the Rune Trial stones would be placed. Just like in DOOM. You'd be able to transition between them without losing progress on the main map you were on, after coming back from the Rune Trial.

My mod works generically, though... on any map, with any monster. What I wanted to do was have this same behavior, but on any map that I play, should a Rune Trial stone be present on that map. This way, I can work for my Runes, as opposed to accepting a handout. :P

Unfortunately, the only way I can see about possibly doing this right now is by editing any mapsets I play to become hubs with fixed Rune Trial stone placements... which is highly, highly, inefficient!

@Graf Zahl, all I want is a way to transition between maps without losing progress on the map that I left... similarly to the behavior of hub-linked maps. It doesn't have to be a hub... I just need to be able to transition between maps without losing progress on the non Rune Trial maps that I leave behind/re-enter. Isn't there a way to do something like this?

@Zhs2, I remember that approach. I was considering doing that for my mod... but that's not what I wanted to talk about here. I want to talk about faithful seamless progress-saving transitions between maps.
Nash

Post by Nash »

DoomKrakken wrote:Isn't there a way to do something like this?
I already posted the solution. Allowing modders to retroactively modify the existing MAPINFO would allow you to change every map to be added into your custom hub (which is unavoidable if you want to save map state and come back to it later).

The reason this thread was closed because the suggestion as presented in the OP is technically impossible. Maps must be part of a hub if you want the state of maps to be saved between travels.
DoomKrakken

Re: Traveling between maps without losing progress on them.

Post by DoomKrakken »

I meant to say that I saw your solution. However, at the time, I wasn't sure this was the way to go. But, I remember now that I came across that same exact suggestion as a far-fetched solution, in a different discussion elsewhere concerning the same issue. I dwelt upon that further.

That being said, I like this idea. I think I'll advocate for this sort of thing directly. :D

Consider this thread closed.

For those of you who found your way to this thread, direct your attention here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60742

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”