Ability for textures to bob up and down?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Ability for textures to bob up and down?

Post by gwHero »

Cacodemon345 wrote:
Caligari87 wrote:You can add a bobbing effect to floors with [wiki]Floor_Waggle[/wiki] in an ACS script.

8-)
ZScript way?
You can call Floor_Waggle also from ZScript code.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

gwHero wrote:
Cacodemon345 wrote:
Caligari87 wrote:You can add a bobbing effect to floors with [wiki]Floor_Waggle[/wiki] in an ACS script.

8-)
ZScript way?
You can call Floor_Waggle also from ZScript code.
Then the feature request isn't required. Need to find a way to iterate through the sectorlist and then apply it to the sector based on floor texture.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Cacodemon345 wrote:Requires knowledge of shaders and how to write it. Using ZDoom's already-existing algorithm is better.
Alright, look, learning shaders REALLY isn't that hard...

And even if it is, if you ask nicely, somebody might be willing to write it for you.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I know. But shaders won't work with PBR stuff...
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

It seems to me that everyone is confused on exactly what you want from looking through this thread - could you clarify exactly what it is you're asking for, so someone can give you a proper answer? Floor_Waggle and shaders have both been given as solutions here, which don't/can't do the same thing at all.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

I think I understand what Cacodemon345 wants, given this post viewtopic.php?f=122&t=60524

> getting all sectors in a level with a given floor texture (that's possible with iterating through level.sectors)
> moving up and down these floors like floor_waggle does; except because floor_waggle requires a tag, with the current status of acs/zscript this is only possible with zscript by raising and lowering these floors by calling Floor.CreateFloor directly for the retrieved sectornums.
But this requires quite some coding if you want to do this decently; since you don't have something like a tagwait the code will have to check itself when a floor has stopped raising or lowering. So this probably requires some bookkeeping with remembering the sectornums in a array and doing the checks in a tick().

This is absolutely doable, but of course I can understand raising a feature request first to make things a lot easier.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

I've created a short simple demo wad that moves all floors with textures FLOOR0_1 and FLAT5_5 up and down. Could be I'm wrong with what OP really wants, but well, you never know if it's a help for someone else. Just play with doom2.wad
Attachments
demowagg.pk3
(1 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

It uses Sector Raise and Lower, which will cause sounds to play unintended. Plus it moves literally any kind of objects and doesn't actually submerge that into the floor.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Well, that's back to the drawingboard I guess. Concerning sounds, I think you could do something about that with silenced sounds sequences, but the submerging... Maybe shaders is the only option left.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I don't think shaders are an option unless GZDoom gets support for custom vertex shaders, which is unlikely.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

I am out of options for the moment. Moving swimmable 3d floors up and down might come close, but you cannot create them on the fly, so that won't help you with existing wads. I can think of non interactive flat sprites on the floor that raise and lower, but I'm afraid that will look awful.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”