Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Graf Zahl »

Bikeshedding something that is easily configurable... :?

I suggest that people just submit their INIs for consideration as a preset and let's just add these to gzdoom.pk3 and make a 'Presets' menu from them.
But the ultimate point is: We cannot second guess other people's preferences, so without having some data there won't be any presets!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I did a quick and dirty test and put together a basic concept for a controller presets menu.
This is just a MENUDEF menu that uses SafeCommand (so there's a prompt) to exec a suitable config file (ex. controls_wasd.cfg) that runs unbindall then rebinds everything (I used a default INI to get the binds, just be sure!). Somewhat of a call back to how old FPS games like Quake would include the dev team and their friend's CFG files in the base install... While this isn't pretty, it also means that it won't take away programmer time from other, more pressing issues.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Looks awesome kinsie!

Seems the bindings are somewhat contested, but so far everyone bar one seems in favor of removing default sprite smoothing.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Will the sprite smoothing remain through?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Kinsie: The point is that what is suggested is an imposition of a suggested default. In doing so it reduces freedom by creating social pressure about an arbitrary "right" way to do things. The OP's suggestion is closer to your sarcastic comment than it is to anything I'm suggesting here.

Unbindall sounds like a bad idea if we want to switch after we've bound a bunch of other things.

If it only unbound the affected keys that would be a different thing - which I think should be doable, just look for anything bound to +forward, clear those, bind +forward to what's in the preset.

Ideally this could be extended to customized presets (and an opportunity to delete the WASD preset so that one never need to even accidentally see it again)

Graf Zahl wrote:Bikeshedding something that is easily configurable... :?
tbh I have no idea why you guys are even spending this time considering this instead of a summary close and [DIY]. I mean, most people will only need to set this up once per computer per OS install (if even that)...
Last edited by Matt on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Cacodemon345 wrote:Will the sprite smoothing remain through?
Have the posts on this thread been divided enough that a mod can easily split this off into a separate feature suggestion?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Matt wrote:tbh I have no idea why you guys are even spending this time considering this instead of a summary close and [DIY]. I mean, most people will only need to set this up once per computer per OS install (if even that)...
Keybinds are per-game, and it can get annoying to reset them whenever you have to wipe your ini and then play the subsequent games, or if you want to check out different bindings (such as trying ESDF if you normally use WASD, or whatever). So having selectable keybind presets that act as a base for tweaking would be really helpful. Being able to define custom presets would be nice too.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Oh, right, forgot about those. (and the fact that most people don't rely on an autoexec)

I'll second the suggestion only if this is fully customizable since otherwise it'll just be a compromise that no one really likes (since you can't predict everything and almost everyone will still have to manually set a bunch of stuff anyway if all you have are minimal generic presets)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Perhaps this is a secondary suggestion that needs its own thread, but how about a "Save bindings to file" function? Get your keys to where you like them, then export a .cfg file that contains _only_ the key binding commands that can then be exec'd from the console or loaded otherwise.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I just want per-mod/game bindings. Hideous Destructor and D4D don't have compatible bind actions, but i also don't want to have to change my other settings across 3-4 different INI files.

8-)
GFD

Post by GFD »

wildweasel wrote:Perhaps this is a secondary suggestion that needs its own thread, but how about a "Save bindings to file" function? Get your keys to where you like them, then export a .cfg file that contains _only_ the key binding commands that can then be exec'd from the console or loaded otherwise.
This seems like the best solution: a save/load system for binds, which would include load-only access to a couple templates included with GZDoom. Mods could also include their own templates, which would be especially useful for radically transformative mods (eg. 2D platformers). And users could leverage command-line arguments to load a specific binds cfg with specific mods.

Autosaving bind changes to the last loaded bind cfg is something I'm unclear as to what the best course of action would be. Perhaps users should just be able to turn it on and off.
Something else I've been struggling to think of a solution for is that not all games / mods use all available keys, but this is not clear to the user. For example, it's not clear to someone playing modded Doom if they need to bind these "Strife popup keys", or what they even do. The game and mod probably don't ever use these binds, but they're cluttering up the menu anyway, and causing confusion. If the ability for mods to include bind templates is added, it makes sense to also incorporate a solution to this problem in this system.
Last edited by GFD on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I'm 100% in favor of having a few presets available. For data on what presets to use we could always use more telemetry to see what actually gets used. Xaser's proposed list would work if nothing else. Saving your current settings/binds as a preset as well as allowing mods to include presets would be fantastic.

As for where to put the bind stuff in the menu, adding a preset select menu to the [wiki]IWAD selection box[/wiki] would be nice and would ensure that new players were aware of the options at hand.
Matt

Post by Matt »

what GFD said.

I can't help thinking all this feels a bit bloaty, though now that I think back on what my ini looks like after a few years of use that's probably just a matter of making some of the existing bloat a bit more visible to and controllable by the user.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

zrrion the insect wrote:For data on what presets to use we could always use more telemetry to see what actually gets used.
I hear a lot of people are already up in arms over GZStats, thinking it's a slippery slope leading to datamining and other supervillainous deeds
I don't think adding what I suppose is essentially a keylogger to the mix is going to make the right impression
nazakomu

Post by nazakomu »

Zenon wrote:
zrrion the insect wrote:For data on what presets to use we could always use more telemetry to see what actually gets used.
I hear a lot of people are already up in arms over GZStats, thinking it's a slippery slope leading to datamining and other supervillainous deeds
I don't think adding what I suppose is essentially a keylogger to the mix is going to make the right impression
I agree. I think that would be going too far.
Proposing any kind of keystroke logging in my book would immediately be considered an absurd and unacceptable proposition. Even if it's only logging what is done in GZDoom, it is still undeniably, an invasive action.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”