A pretty good alternative to normal maps

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

A pretty good alternative to normal maps

Post by Darkcrafter »

I really like the way these pallette posterized dynamic lights look like in QZDoom Software renderer. Having these in OpenGL mode would be awesome as this pallette restriction is exactly what makes dynamic lghts look right.

So I made some screens: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ux9fM ... 9LIFR4YSwq

Would also like to have some sort of parallax-mapping as it doesn't need any light source information to make doom look better.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: A pretty good alternative to normal maps

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm tempted to say 'no' outright, but if dpJudas thinks this has some merit I may reconsider. The chances are slim, though. If you want stuff to look like the software renderer, use the software renderer!
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I'm not really sure I understand the request here. The lights in the palette software renderer are calculated in true color just like in the GL renderer. Just before storing the result it uses a 6-bit lookup table to find the nearest palette color.

This is functionally identical to enabling the palette tonemap in the GL renderer. So unless I misunderstood something here, this could actually be marked as [Already In].
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Code: Select all

gl_tonemap 5
gl_bandedswlight true
You'll get pretty much the exact same result as in those screenshots.

There will be no further features added at this time to gimp the colour output of the OpenGL renderer - a lot is already possible with the custom shader system anyhow if you need to customize this any further.
EmperorGrieferus

Post by EmperorGrieferus »

Rachael wrote:

Code: Select all

gl_tonemap 5
gl_bandedswlight true
You'll get pretty much the exact same result as in those screenshots.

There will be no further features added at this time to gimp the colour output of the OpenGL renderer - a lot is already possible with the custom shader system anyhow if you need to customize this any further.
What means "Banded Software Lightmode"? Does it makes OpenGL renderer looks more similar to standard Software renderer?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

One of the "features" so to speak because of the limited COLORMAP ramps in the original Doom was the banding lines between each light level. This recreates the effect in OpenGL. It makes the light fading in the Software light mode into a steppy-gradient instead of a smooth one.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”