Custom tick duration

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Apeirogon

Custom tick duration

Post by Apeirogon »

Because some actions, llike effects, which those means to be done very quickly, or shoting from very fast shoting guns, with current tick duratons looks twitching.
And I dont say "give fractional tick duration", becaus this break all existing mod. I say "give opportunity change ammount of microseconds in tick of some defined actor".

Or this already can be done from modder side?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Custom tick duration

Post by Rachael »

The engine does not work this way.

Events happen once every 35th of a second - full stop. Nothing can even happen in between these tics, and even if they could it would bog the sim processing down way too much.
Gez

Post by Gez »

At most it could be feasible to define a global tic duration in something like GAMEINFO. This has sometimes been mentioned on the subject of things such as emulating PSX Doom and Doom 64 accurately, since they used 30 tics per second instead of 35.

But even with that, tics would have a global, fixed length throughout the game. You can't change that value at run-time, and you definitely can't change it selectively for just one actor.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Even with that, we'd need sane maximum values.

I was considering something like that for possibly in the future for if I was adding support for more games, but no promises there, though.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Rachael wrote: more games
Like what? Blood? Nuke dukem?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Crap load of things depend on TICRATE. Let's hope there are no hard-coded magic numbers related to it. Also, netplay will require the same value for all nodes.
Actually, changing #define and ZScript constant to variables is not a big deal. Amount of effort to make it work properly is an open question though.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There's also a lot of areas in the code where 35/sec is actually hardcoded. A lot of programmers over the years have forgotten or been ignorant of the existence of the TICRATE #define.

Bagheadspidey before he disappeared apparently managed to turn it into a CVar but that was well over 8 years ago.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”