A pk3 for Developers

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Zen3001

A pk3 for Developers

Post by Zen3001 »

I don't know where else to post this
gzdoom.pk3 is filled with content for doom and other games
it would be useful for developers that want to work on there own game to have a pk3 that has everything for gzdoom to work without any other games in it.
If it allready exits somewhere online, please give me a download link and sry for the spam in this case.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: A pk3 for Developers

Post by Rachael »

Delete zd_extra.pk3 and you have it. Still working out this issue but otherwise it's all already there.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

The actors are still in the gzdoom.pk3
Gez

Post by Gez »

The actor code isn't a legal issue, since it's derived from GPL code.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

And it's also definitely not going anywhere.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

it just feels weird when someone creates a full game and you can easily use it to play doom
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The GPL is open source by design - if such things bother you, remove the actors and keep testing them until it is "clear" of all traces of Doom and its descendants. That is the beauty of GPL software - you can do whatever you need to do with it to get it into a state where you can distribute it, so long as you keep the source code open and available and follow any of its other licensing terms. (This strictly includes stating that the software was modified by you, in addition to giving attribution to all other contributors)

While doing all of this is hugely unnecessary and it serves no purpose other than to satisfy a compulsion, it is effective and you're free to do it. It really just comes down to weighing how much having inaccessible actors that most players will never even know the existence of really bothers you.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

yeah and I was simply just asking for a pk3 without all these things made for other games
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As I said - you're free to do it.

But we're not going to do it. We don't need to, we don't have any reason to do it, and I already stated from my perspective it's a nit-pick more than it is something that impacts real functionality in any game. Would you ever know you were able to summon Unreal monsters in some UE1 engine games inside games that had absolutely nothing to do with Unreal and weren't even developed by Epic? That's way worse than just having the code for them available. Trust me, you're picking at straws here. Seriously.

But you're free to do it yourself. Most of the actors are sorted into named folders anyhow - it's just a matter of deleting them and their include directives and then healing any broken links that are left over. The GPL permits you to do it, I am encouraging you to do it, but I am not going to do it for you and nor will anyone else on the GZDoom team.

And with that I am locking this thread because I am not here to argue this with you.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”