Limit rendering of walls/flats/sprites somehow?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

Re: Limit rendering of walls/flats/sprites somehow?

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote: The Doom engine is plain and simply not good at rendering wide open areas with high detail and there is no magic ingredient that helps overcome this
What about dpJudas' idea to allow the engine to mark only sectors/lines that are "dirty" so that not too much has to be re-drawn every frame... ?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

As an automatic that is never going to work. What may be doable is to designate larger areas as immutable (i.e. you are not allowed to make any changes whatsoever to its geometry) so that they can be excluded from the BSP and rendered as one large batch from static data. But that's not something that's quickly added and it will require mapper intervention. But yes, that could at least partially solve the outside area performance problems.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Graf Zahl wrote:What may be doable is to designate larger areas as immutable (i.e. you are not allowed to make any changes whatsoever to its geometry) so that they can be excluded from the BSP and rendered as one large batch from static data.
That would be welcomed by a lot of mappers. Nevertheless, after falling many times in the pitfall of designing large area's that perform quite well in the beginning but end up laggy when all the cool architecture was brought in, I think that creating the illusion of large area's is certainly as rewarding.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

If only we can dynamically "spawn" "box" from one sided walls with player in centher of it constructions...
But human allowed only dreaming...

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”