Check if sound is currently playing in a channel

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Apeirogon

Re: Check if sound is currently playing in a channel

Post by Apeirogon »

IMO it would be better if "is play sound()" method would return sound id instead of bool.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Hm, also, wouldn't it be better if this function was clearscope? it could have its uses on the ui too. Hell, one could even make a close captions mod with that.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Hm, also, wouldn't it be better if this function was clearscope? it could have its uses on the ui too. Hell, one could even make a close captions mod with that.
Done. I also renamed it.
FEZ_GG

Post by FEZ_GG »

> Hell, one could even make a close captions mod with that.

Apologies for the 4 year bump, but I came across this thread while trying to make a captions mod myself. I had planned to write it in ZScript, but I looked through GZDoom's code and saw the aforementioned S_IsActorPlayingSomething is a C++ function. Is that something that can even be used in ZScript? My initial plan was to have some sort of event listener fire when a sound effect is played, and run code that would display a caption for the sound on the UI, but I wasn't sure if something like that existed.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Player701 »

FEZ_GG wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:57 pmIs that something that can even be used in ZScript?
Yes, it can. On the script side, it's called IsActorPlayingSound, and here is the original declaration. The second argument is needed in case you want to check for a specific sound being played, otherwise it will just tell you whether any sound is currently playing or not.

P.S. These posts should probably be split into a separate thread and moved to the scripting subforum. If possible, please post similar questions there next time.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”