Continue Button

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Kharnellius

Continue Button

Post by Kharnellius »

I find myself always have to search through my save files to find my most recent save. (I rotate my saves between 6-8 saves to have a backup point if I get stuck.)

Can you guys simplify this by adding a "Continue" button to the main menu? Modern games have spoiled me with this feature and it's a wonder quality of life feature.
If not on the main menu at least under the "Game Files" sub-menu at the top. Thanks all for your consideration!

(My apologies if this has already been suggested. My searches did not find any similar topics)

BTW, Amazing work, guys!
Currently, I'm making a Doom USB stick for my sister using GZDOOM so she can play this anywhere she wants! Just plug into any computer and play.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Continue Button

Post by Rachael »

This is not doable. Many people use the same GZDoom to run multitudes of different mods, and having a continue button just would not work in these circumstances. (The save games won't load if they're from another mod)

Sorry. :(
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Wouldn't it be possible to have it load the newest loadable save? Or at least give an error "Cannot load save due to mismatched mod list" in that case. That way, people who don't change mods during a play-through can still benefit from a Continue button.

Though I'd be happy with the save list being auto-sorted by date and the newest at the top. It is quite annoying having to look through the list to find which one has the latest date.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Chris wrote:Though I'd be happy with the save list being auto-sorted by date and the newest at the top. It is quite annoying having to look through the list to find which one has the latest date
The savegame list has been always sorted by name (title), very old code there. One of the latest changes in ZDoom32 (besides increasing the size of the savegame comment area) has been sorting the list by slot number (filename). That's simple and would suffice, i thought about sorting by date but you'd need to compare dates in string format and some ugly code would be needed to change date format (to YYYY/MM/DD).

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/commits/gzdoom32
Kharnellius

Post by Kharnellius »

Rachael wrote:This is not doable. Many people use the same GZDoom to run multitudes of different mods, and having a continue button just would not work in these circumstances. (The save games won't load if they're from another mod)

Sorry. :(
Doesn't that mean it would just load the most recent save from whatever mod you were running? I feel like that would make the most sense anyway as chances are, that's exactly the save you were looking for. Pardon my ignorance if I'm not understanding you clearly.

RE: Sorting Alphabetically. I'm not entirely sure why people would want save games sorted alphabetically. I normally have my saves in clumps on purpose to organize them a bit.

Just had a thought. Anyway you could just list the date next to the save name for every save at once? Clicking in each save trying to find the right one is annoying.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Saved games are not grouped by mod(s). It’s just one folder with files in it. There is a filtering by IWAD and that’s all.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Kharnellius wrote:Anyway you could just list the date next to the save name for every save at once?
Where? I already considered that and then the title wouldn't fit.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

It’s better to add ability to sort by date than to tinker with save/load menu layout.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

_mental_ wrote:It’s better to add ability to sort by date than to tinker with save/load menu layout.
Agreed.
Kharnellius

Post by Kharnellius »

_mental_ wrote:It’s better to add ability to sort by date than to tinker with save/load menu layout.
That would work too! And it would be nice if it remembered your "sort by" preference. SO if I sort by date, the next time I launch the game it is still sorted by date (or whatever parameter you last selected).
drfrag wrote:
Kharnellius wrote:Anyway you could just list the date next to the save name for every save at once?
Where? I already considered that and then the title wouldn't fit.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but there's an awful lot of dead space on the right side of the screen. How long are people's titles?! I keep mine short. See below.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1241544579
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Amount of free space depends on screen resolution. It works for you but may not work for someone else.
The problem is you don’t consider all GZDoom features and possibilities they open.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

For example - one such feature being the ability to run at 320x200.

And before you ask - yes there's people that do it.
Attachments
savemenu.png
savemenu.png (40.35 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
Kharnellius

Post by Kharnellius »

And still quite a bit of room even at that ridiculous resolution. I only run in 1920x1080 which is pretty low by today's standards. Maybe move the screenshot and info to above the titles instead of next to it. Gives you the full width of the screen then. Yes, that does require some rework of the UI, though.

However, I can't help but feel we're splitting hairs when people might run it at such a low res. Just have it truncated off in that instance. If they want to see the date they will just have to go to a more reasonable resolution. Last time I used 320x200 was in the mid 90s...over 20 years ago, lol!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The problem is not only with low resolutions but with various aspect ratios.
GZDoom is not a console game which runs with predefined resolution and has zero customization opportunities.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Splitting hairs, indeed.

@_mental_: If you want to include an option to change the sorting, by all means, but as for the rest of this I feel like this is getting too argumentative with no real productive purpose.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”