Extended nodes

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Biff

Post by Biff »

Your Name Is wrote:BTW, dude, since when? I have tried and tried, it won't let me export them. I know that the wav file bug (only exports as a picture) is fixed, but mus files still only let me export as txt.
I guess you are asking me? Well, checking with version 11.92 (not the latest), the lump manager (F7), export lump to file, select mus lump such as d_runnin, then click the MUS button under "Save Lumps as selected by Button Below", select path and file name in the save dialog box, click save.
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

Thanks for the pointer dude.
@BIFF: No, those are Midi files
Biff

Post by Biff »

YNI, no, I'm quite sure they are not. I thought it was well known that the music in doom.wad and doom2.wad is in MUS format. You can export it as such, to filename.mus, then use any tool to import it to any pwad. It'll play fine. I know that zdoom allows the use of midi files too and I've imported those fine as well.

If you try to export doom2 music as .mid format, no wonder it won't work.

Edit: Hmm, just tried it and it appears that DeePsea can export the doom2 music as either mus or midi. I still think that the doom2 music is in mus format, but apparently DeePsea includes a mus-to-mid converter that will allow you to export into midi format!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Pretty sure you can export it as either. When exporting a music lump, I normally press the "mid" button to tell DeePsea to export the music as a a midi file (DeePsea does the conversion for you, should it be needed). However, if you press the "lmp" button, DeePsea exports the lump in whatever format it is in inside the WAD.

I just tried with D_RUNNIN. The mid and lmp versions were a slightly different size and looked quite different in a hex editor. Windows Media player played the mid, but ecen after a name change, it did not recognise the lmp. However, Zdoom played both quite happily when loading the lumps directly from the command line.

Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

Yeah, but I am talking about extracting Void's soundtrack as an MUS so I can listen to it somewhere else cause I like it so much. The Doom soundtrack is midi format, I've looked into it. It is easy to move a mus from one wad directly to the other. Not so to extract it. BTW, what do I use to listen to a MUS file outside of a wad? I know you can extract MIDIs as MIDI or MUS

Back on Topic:
So does this mean full 3d support similar to Edge?
Biff

Post by Biff »

This is very strange to me, because of course I looked into it years ago when I started editing. Doom, Doom2 and Heretic music format were claimed to be in "mus" format, not midi. Doom.exe, doom2.exe and heretic.exe could not play midi files, that's why someone wrote the midi2mus converter so we could convert midi to mus and put in a wad. Zdoom came along and was able to directly play midi.

It is easy to extract a mus from a wad, like I told you. It won't be recognized by any external player you can probably find, though. I once saw a DOS mus file player, years ago but don't know where it is now. I would just extract the file as midi and play it with anything like Winamp. Does it sound different that way (not what you want)?

Edit: Found this quickly online:

All the Musical Stuff
As you might expect, the music in DOOM is a series of named resources. In both games the names are D_xxxxxx where the xxxxxx is the name of the music. In DOOM, the music is named after the level, e.g. D_E1M2 and in DOOMII we see names like D_RUNNIN for MAP01, D_STALKS for MAP02 and so on. The music resources themselves are in GUS format but don't worry too much about the format because if you're a musician you can record in standard MIDI format and use the utility MIDI2MUS to convert it to the format required for DOOM. (Note: can anyone tell me who wrote this utility - I want to put a credit in for him). If you use the BOOM Engine from TeamTNT you can include MIDI format files directly. This is because a different sound Engine called ALLEGRO is used in BOOM. All this is covered in the documentation provided with the BOOM Engine. As with all resources, you can use WinTex or DeuTex to manipulate the music resources of your PWAD and a worked example is given in the section on WinTex/DeuTex.

And this is copied from the DeePsea help pages:

Import Lump Dialog Buttons

Auto Options
This button lets you change the way DeePsea converts imported files. The default settings are shown on the main dialog box.

If you select SND, then all WAV files are converted to the DOOM sound format. The newer DOOM ports support the WAV file format, so this is only is you use the original DOOM engine.

If you select MUS, then all MID files are converted to the DOOM MUS format. The newer DOOM ports support the MID file format, so this is only is you use the original DOOM engine.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Your Name Is wrote:Yeah, but I am talking about extracting Void's soundtrack as an MUS so I can listen to it somewhere else cause I like it so much.
Is the Void soundtrack MUS format?

randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

To answer Enjay's question: No, it's not MUS. (Assuming this is Cyb's Void that's being talked about.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's what I thought (and I was assuming Cyb's Void too). So it seems kind of odd to be trying to extract it in a format that it was never in to get the best kind of representation of how it sounds in the WAD.

Am I not right in saying that even when a music lump is in mus format Zdoom will, by default, be using a Windows midi device to play it anyway?

randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

MUS is just a simplified MIDI format, so playing it is exactly the same as playing a MIDI file, except you have to convert it first.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, I knew there was some kind of similarity, but couldn't remember what it was. Thanks.

Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

Wow. I am very confused... I always thought the music was MID... So what's Cyb's Void soundtrack format? I was thinking of putting it on my mp3 player if its MP3. And how would I export it?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DeePSea can export any lump to a file in the format that it is inside the wad. Use the F7 export, highlight the entry, click the LMP button and save it. That will create a file (which by default uses the .lmp extension) that is in the original format of the lump. If it is an mp3, it will be an mp3, if it's a doom graphic, it'll be in doom graphic format, if it's a text lump, it will be in text format...

If you know what the format is, give it an extension other than lmp to make it easier to open in external programs meant for that data type (eg .mp3 if the lump is an mp3).

Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

I'll try it, but I don't know if it'll work...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Your Name Is wrote:I'll try it, but I don't know if it'll work...
It should, however, you may be interested in reading the text file that comes with void

Code: Select all

New Music               : Exquisite by TSEC
			  It's Night Forever by DipA (title music)
			  They're compressed xm mods, so if you want to extract and 
			  play you'll need the FMOD player (http://fmod.org)
So, they are neither of the formats we have been debating. :D

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”