FOV Slider in Graphics Options

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

FOV Slider in Graphics Options

Post by Xeotroid »

Just a small thing, but hopefully a useful one. Even though most people know how to change the field of view via a simple console command, it would still be nice for newcomers to have an FOV slider right in the options menu without having to touch the console.
Hypersonic

Re: FOV Slider in Graphics Options

Post by Hypersonic »

At least you can set it higher GZDoom. Can't play my usual fov 120 in TF2 https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Field_of_View

Would be nice to support multi-projection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6NbyEmPalA
That way you can get fov 180 without any distortion with 3 displays.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Hypersonic wrote:Would be nice to support multi-projection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6NbyEmPalA
That way you can get fov 180 without any distortion with 3 displays.
This is WAY beyond the scope of the original feature suggestion, and plus it will never happen unless the development team has the kind of hardware that can support this and can test it on it. (Apparently multi-projection requires a NVidia 1080 at least, so yeah, it'll be a few years until all of us can upgrade to such expensive graphics cards, not to mention the number of displays themselves required)

As for the original suggestion, this kinda hits the philosophical line, so I am not sure if I should touch it. (That being said, it can be easily DIY'd with an "AddOptionMenu" in MenuDef)
Nash

Post by Nash »

There are a few complications here.

1) Player FOV value is sent as a net command. Which means moving the slider while the menu is open in single player won't show the changes immediately. And moving the slider in multiplayer will continuously send net commands to change the FOV.

2) I'm not 100% sure on this as I'm not on my Doom computer so I don't have dev tools to check thoroughly; but I think player FOV is serialized, so loading saved games with different player FOV settings will presumably alter the slider position every time. I have not seen anything in the Options menu that touches serialized stuff so this is sort of a question that needs to be answered on a fundamental level: should adding an FOV slider in the menu require us to de-serialize the player FOV setting?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I think I've seen enough, here. Based on this alone, that's enough to reject this suggestion.

There's the philosophical issues with this, too - notably that adding it to the menu makes it more or less "sanctioned" for regular legitimate gameplay use. This gets pretty touchy, especially in Multiplayer, especially when it filters down to child ports like Zandronum, where you're giving an "okay" just through the menu for people to mess around with this variable, when it clearly is a cheat in many situations, despite its many legitimate uses in others.

So, the final verdict on this is [No].

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”