New features (last update 8.8.2005)

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

I also suggested for enemy railgun reform long ago. The enemy railgun aims directly at the target 100% of the time, making it extremely difficult to dodge. Graf was suggesting that maybe there could be a railgun aiming function that aims at the target that is separate from the railgun firing function, which would shoot at the coordinates obtained from the aiming function. This would allow players to move out of the way when the monster aims so the monster would miss them.
Belial

Post by Belial »

Umm... Isn't that how it works now? That's what I remember from playing TNT:LE.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Anakin S. wrote:I also suggested for enemy railgun reform long ago. The enemy railgun aims directly at the target 100% of the time, making it extremely difficult to dodge. Graf was suggesting that maybe there could be a railgun aiming function that aims at the target that is separate from the railgun firing function, which would shoot at the coordinates obtained from the aiming function. This would allow players to move out of the way when the monster aims so the monster would miss them.

Already in.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

btw Graf, did you find out what was screwing up the decorate weapon offsets?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. I haven't looked yet.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

How about limited range railgun shots? Railgun shots in big levels aren't definitively good to see.
Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Anakin S. wrote:I also suggested for enemy railgun reform long ago. The enemy railgun aims directly at the target 100% of the time, making it extremely difficult to dodge. Graf was suggesting that maybe there could be a railgun aiming function that aims at the target that is separate from the railgun firing function, which would shoot at the coordinates obtained from the aiming function. This would allow players to move out of the way when the monster aims so the monster would miss them.

Already in.
Great. Thank you. Boy, have I been out of the loop. How do you use it?
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I think it's default behavior. My railgun marines have been missing their target lately!
Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

But it seems they only miss if you run out of the way at the exact moment they fire, which means if you're a milisecond too late, you're dead. Isn't there a separate railgun aiming function?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Graf Zahl wrote:Next new feature:

I got tired of having to maintain 2 lumps just to get the decal definitions. Now it is possible to set them directly in the DECORATE actor definition - where they belong!
Ba-bump. How is this feature used? there was barely any discussion on how to perform it.
Graf Zahl wrote:One more change: I removed the code that aims directly at the target from A_CustomRailAttack. Now it has to be done in a separate A_FaceTarget Call. This has the advantage that inaccurate railgun shots are possible. The old code is 100% accurate which doesn't give much use to railgun monsters.
@Anakain: there's your answer. they shoot in whatever direction they're facing instead of aiming directly at the target before firing.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

This needs to be updated to 12/5/05 :P
Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

DoomRater wrote:

I got tired of having to maintain 2 lumps just to get the decal definitions. Now it is possible to set them directly in the DECORATE actor definition - where they belong!
Ba-bump. How is this feature used? there was barely any discussion on how to perform it.
Graf Zahl wrote:One more change: I removed the code that aims directly at the target from A_CustomRailAttack. Now it has to be done in a separate A_FaceTarget Call. This has the advantage that inaccurate railgun shots are possible. The old code is 100% accurate which doesn't give much use to railgun monsters.
@Anakain: there's your answer. they shoot in whatever direction they're facing instead of aiming directly at the target before firing.
Thanks.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

DoomRater wrote:

Just a new actor property called 'Decal decalname' which is used in place of defining a generator in the DECALDEF lump.'
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

How about making a text explaining all the new DECORATE commands? It would be very useful. There is a lot of interesting features that we could use, but it is remaining "unknownly" (is this correct?). Btw, there is no need to wait until 96x becomes an official version, and also if it does, the documentation would be already done.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I'm writing tutorials on how to exploit the current codepointers, namely A_Refire, A_WeaponReady, A_GunFlash, and I'll even have one on the quirks of A_GiveInventory and A_TakeInventory. The A_Refire and A_WeaponReady one is complete, but I still need to put together a weapon to double-check the code I'm using for the A_GunFlash exploit.

As I find more uses for other codepointers, I'll write how to use guides on them too, with whatever advanced tricks I can think of as they come.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”