Multiple "spectral" types?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Ryuhi

Multiple "spectral" types?

Post by Ryuhi »

As it stands, flags like SPECTRAL and MTHRUSPECIES are the best ways I've found to avoid accidental hit detection... stuff like monsters with headshot hitboxes accidentally throwing fireballs right into their own faces, for instance. Depending on what causes the collision, usually the easiest solution is to simply mark all of the projectiles you WANT to be able to hit it as spectral, while everything else is not. The two biggest issues with this is that it removes the actual point of the spectral tag for any mods that use this workaround, and it removes the ability for hitscan or melee attacks to directly qualify for these hitboxes. I am aware of the workaround that many mods use for that particular problem by essentially making the puff "shoot" a spectral projectile in a tiny radius on death, but I was hoping there could be a more elegant solution to either/both issues.

My proposal: Multiple "shootable but not really" style flags that work the same way as spectral. The biggest benefit to this would be the amount of customization potential it could add to vulnerabilities in both enemies and players. You could have a cyberdemon who's appendages could be blown off by aimed shots from specific weaponry, location specific damage to lead to a variety of relevant pain/wound/death states, Items that can be sucessfully loreshotted/thrusted (without needing the shootable flag or the warp trick,) and of course true immunities to different weaponry on an individual actor basis (almost like Ikaruga's color switching.)

As people keep coming up with workarounds to the problems the limitation presents, I don't know how important of a feature it will be (let alone how hard it would be to implement.) Still, its something ive been running into a fair bit so I figured I'd ask if its been on the drawing board at some point.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Multiple "spectral" types?

Post by Graf Zahl »

This stuff is way too messy to extend because it creates an incredible amount of overhead for everything that doesn't need it.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”