A portable installation for the OSX version of GZDOOM?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

LGN-76

A portable installation for the OSX version of GZDOOM?

Post by LGN-76 »

According to this article:
wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Building_EDuke32_on_macOS
The Mac OSX version of EDuke32 allows you to store the Duke Nukem 3D game data, as well as any other files you wanna use (like the HRP), inside the .app under a certain folder. If you put the config files for EDuke32 in there as well, then the source port can run off a flash drive with pretty much no dependency on a Mac's hard drive, thus making it VERY easy for me to play EDuke32 on library computers, Mac and Windows.

I tried it and it does work. BUT, I tried doing the same thing for GZDOOM and it didn't work. It always tells me to put my WAD files and other stuff onto the Mac hard drive, which I can't do since every Mac I use is a library computer.

Is there a way I can get GZDOOM to function completely off a flash drive taking whatever it needs from within the .app, like EDuke32 does? If there isn't, could you please consider adding it as a feature later on?
_mental_

Re: A portable installation for the OSX version of GZDOOM?

Post by _mental_ »

You need to copy all WADs to GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS folder.
Custom configuration file, i.e. your gzdoom.ini, can be specified via -config <full path to ini> command line options.
Saved games location can be altered via save_dir CVAR and for screenshots via screenshot_dir CVAR.

There are lots of possibilities to achieve portability for GZDoom on macOS, using only UI and especially via Terminal.
I see no reason to add something taking into account a very minor interest in it. This request is the first one IIRC.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”