Dynamic conelights/spotlights

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Dynamic conelights/spotlights

Post by Caligari87 »

Yes, I have the feeling this was suggested/discussed many times before, but I cannot find any specific thread regarding a feature request or development. In my understanding this is more possible now than ever before, so I'm re-posting the suggestion/request.

Very simply, dynamic lights with a limited cone of illumination. Suitable for flashlights, spotlights, headlamps, etc. These would use the same lighting models (standard or attenuated) and args (RGB + radius/intensity) as existing dynamic lights. An additional arg would be used for the spread of the beam, similar to a camera's FOV angle. The actor angle/pitch would be used to point the light (angle 0 being east and pitch 0 being horizontally level, of course). In the unlikely event masks/projectors/shapes are possible, those would use the actor roll of course. Otherwise perhaps roll could be re-purposed to define the spread or softness of the illumination cone.

From a couple discussions in Discord I get the impression this should be, while not trivial, certainly not impossible or extremely difficult and (in addition to global directional illumination) would fulfill another long-awaited lighting options for modders.

8-)
Major Cooke

Re: Dynamic conelights/spotlights

Post by Major Cooke »

I'd be impressed if we could get texture applications to them. But something tells me that's not going to happen, since that whole system was only set up for legacy GL versions... something I'd love to see happen for the rest of the lights though. I still think that could be added on.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Major Cooke wrote:I'd be impressed if we could get texture applications to them.

What do you mean by 'texture applications'?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Light cookie effects. Makes it look much more realistic. Like an actual flashlight.

The majority of the top results in this Google image search should be somewhat descriptive of the effect, since it's hard to put it into words:
https://www.google.com/search?q=light+c ... 80&bih=799
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Maybe with Vulkan that is possible. For OpenGL it will probably not be possible because lights are not an additional render pass but done right in the main one, and with GL's texture binding scheme there's a limit here that would make the feature problematic.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah, that. Sorry. The name was really illusive to me, but it's what you did for GL2 compatibility.

Anyway, I take it the original suggestion also applies to the same restrictions?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Leaving aside texture applications, what about simple illumination?

8-)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Since I don't imagine the devs use the Moderator Control Panel, this thread got a Report:
This feature request can be marked [Added] it seems.
Closing the Report and bumping the thread instead.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”