Reserved USER# Stat Number range

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xaser

Reserved USER# Stat Number range

Post by Xaser »

Assigning custom stat numbers to thinkers can be useful for certain things, but there's one rather important caveat:
Graf Zahl wrote:Right now there is no guaranteed range of user-reserved numbers so you may be shooting yourself in the foot by arbitrarily assigning a free number to your thinker.
So, let's reserve some. Something like ten or so declared STAT_USER# statnums ought to do the trick.

If we want to get super-fancy, perhaps have one reserved range before STAT_DEFAULT (and another before STAT_FIRST_THINKING so there are "don't tick" options available) so folks get more control over the execution order, but I'll let you all hash this part out. :P
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Reserved USER# Stat Number range

Post by Major Cooke »

Side question, which comes first? Lowest numbered (32 on up) or highest numbered? I'm assuming lowest since custominventory does its thing in a snap with pickup and use states.

But yes, I agree on this. If the aforementioned is such a case, I think a set of ranges before and after the traditional thinker would be of great boon -- even if I was mistaken in terms of optimization, it can still be quite useful.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Reserved USER# Stat Number range

Post by Graf Zahl »

Lowest numbered come first. Trivia: Originally STAT_DEFAULT was the highest possible number, that only got changed when it became obvious that some things need to tick after all in-game actors to avoid undefined behavior.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”