Mute all sounds ACS function?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Spaceman333

Mute all sounds ACS function?

Post by Spaceman333 »

Muting music is easy with ACS, but muting all sounds is not.

The only thing I've found is this:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/SoundVolume
https://zdoom.org/wiki/StopSound

Both of those can only mute one sound channel per one tid at a time. Not useful if I want to mute everything.

Having a function to mute all sounds globally would be greatly appreciated.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Mute all sounds ACS function?

Post by Kinsie »

What would be the use case for this? What do you want to use it for, specifically?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Kinsie wrote:What would be the use case for this? What do you want to use it for, specifically?
A Slomo mod that creates a bullettime/slowmotion effect on demand. It works by pulsing a TimeFreeze power on and off.
Theres a huge problem though. When TimeFreeze is on all sounds and music are muted during the freeze pulse, but they're not muted during the non-freeze pulse of the slomo, resulting in choppy sound that feels jarring and horrible.

The slomo mod otherwise works and feels amazing functionality wise, but this major issue with sound is keeping it down. Having the ability to mute the sounds the same way music volume can be muted with ACS would make the mod perfect.

You can try the mod for yourself to see what I mean:
http://www.filedropper.com/slomobullettime

Aside from that, I could see this feature being useful in creating an impressive effect for items, weapons and abilities where all sounds are either muted or reduced when they're used, to create a dramatic effect that communicates the impressive power of that thing to the player. It can also be used as a negative player status effect to impair the player's ability to use sound to sense their situation as a way to balance an ability that is very powerful otherwise.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Spaceman333 wrote:Theres a huge problem though. When TimeFreeze is on all sounds and music are muted during the freeze pulse, but they're not muted during the non-freeze pulse of the slomo, resulting in choppy sound that feels jarring and horrible.

The slomo mod otherwise works and feels amazing functionality wise, but this major issue with sound is keeping it down. Having the ability to mute the sounds the same way music volume can be muted with ACS would make the mod perfect.
If you're using a version of ZDoom that's cool with ZScript, you can go the other way and use this modified variant of PowerTimeFreeze that doesn't mute sounds while active.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Kinsie wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:Theres a huge problem though. When TimeFreeze is on all sounds and music are muted during the freeze pulse, but they're not muted during the non-freeze pulse of the slomo, resulting in choppy sound that feels jarring and horrible.

If you're using a version of ZDoom that's cool with ZScript, you can go the other way and use this modified variant of PowerTimeFreeze that doesn't mute sounds while active.
Holy shit, it really works. :shock:

I just reconfigured the mod to test it out, popping the zcript file like some miracle cure and bam, and it just did the trick. The choppy sound is no longer a problem, and while I wish I would add reverb or some kind of slowed down effect to the sounds, this is super cool nonetheless.

Thank you Kinsie, you just helped me overcome a major hurdle in the mod! I'll make sure to credit you in the mod (and Blue Shadow) for making this happen. Damn I feel so happy now! :D

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”