Different Railgun sounds

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Different Railgun sounds

Post by Graf Zahl »

There should be a method that a railgun monster or weapon can play a custom railgun sound. Today I wanted to make a second railgun monster for the monster pack when I found out that there is no way to play anything but 'weapons/railgf' as a railgun's sound. If the AttackSound of a monster/weapon is defined that should be used instead.
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

Sounds like a good idea.
Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

Speaking of railguns, allow me to dig up an old thread I started about improved monster railgun aiming. Monsters currently can't miss when they fire their railguns, making it very difficult for players to dodge them. In this thread, Graf suggested adding two new functions, A_RailAim and A_RailFire to separate the aiming and firing mechanisms. This way, it would be done like quake 2 gladiators, who give the player a chance to dodge their railguns.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t= ... gun+aiming
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I usually give any railgun monsters a long-ish "aim time" in the firing sequence. Once you know the monster, you know it's getting ready to rail you but you have a little bit of time to react and get behind something. That being said, the RailAim is a good idea, as is the sound option.

Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

But since the aiming is done at the same time as the firing in the A_MonsterRail code pointer, giving the monsters a longish "aim time" still wouldn't allow the player to dodge, unfortunately. A_FaceTarget is only used to make the sprite look like it's facing you. The missiles, railguns, etc. are always aimed at the target when they are created.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Absolutely! It doesn't allow you to dodge, it allows you to get into cover so that you can't be hit. I guess, in some ways, that's actually more "realistic".

I'm not arguing against your suggestion, just pointing out what I do to make such an enemy more playable. ie, I give the player a reasonable warning that the bad guy is about to fire so that they can get out of the way before he does fire.

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There should still be an option. The railgun as a monster weapon is a real pain, especially with the default damage of 100. I found the railgunners in the monster pack a real pain and the Rail Elemental from SSD even more. That thing was 100% deadly.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Actually, I do believe that the default railgun damage is 150...

(Well, I never actually checked an enemy's railgun damage, but that IS the damage done by player railguns.)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The enemy railgun damage can be changed by setting the Damage property of the monster that uses the attack.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”