Dual-color sector fog aka. "midfade"

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Dual-color sector fog aka. "midfade"

Post by Jimmy »

Probably a rubbish name for this suggestion, but the idea behind this is for when one color of fog on its own, for instance #FF0000, won't cut it, in terms of making the fade look "realistic" - since darker areas just appear more saturated, and there's no way to make an area "dark" if you want that same area to have red fog.

Fade to black:
Fade to red:

My suggestion: Say you want to give an area a tinge of intense red, but still want it to fade to total-black. You might specify fade as #000000 (the default), and midfade as #FF0000. This could be done in MAPINFO or ACS, perhaps with Sector_SetMidFade, or perhaps an extended Sector_SetFade2 function for specifying both fades. Maybe "testmidfade" could be added as a CCMD too.

Fade to black with red midfade:

Of course perhaps the exact "position" of the midfade needn't be 50% midway between zero fade and total fade. Perhaps a MAPINFO flag like "midfadepos" could specify whether the red "midfade" should enter at the 0% mark, or 50%, or 90% etc. - and in the case of the ACS function, the midfadepos could be an extra parameter at the end of the function.

Fade to black with red midfade at varying intervals:
Image Image

I realise I'm potentially asking for a huge amount here. :?

This is kind of a pipe dream of mine and nothing more at this point, as I have no clue if this is feasible in either renderer, but in case there's something there, I'd like to get some discussion going on the subject. Can folks see this being useful?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Dual-color sector fog aka. "midfade"

Post by Graf Zahl »

Fog doesn't work like that.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

...I figured that'd be the current state of affairs? Hence my intention to "get some discussion going".

EDIT: It struck me that I can actually very easily design my own COLORMAP to do exactly what I'm asking here, at least for the software renderer.

Granted, it looks a bit strange when palettized...

But this is just one example.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That still is not doable wih hardware rendering so it's out by default.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”