[No] Soft sprite clipping

Moderators: Developers, ZDoom.org Team

Re: Soft sprite clipping

Postby Caligari87 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Like Nash suggested, +SoftClip would work for things like particle effects. If the idea is to be expanded to allow software-style "sprite in floor" rendering, then +NoClip could be default. +Hardclip could render sprites like hardware does now, cut off if they go into geometry.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Rachael » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:50 pm

+NoClip is already a flag used for actor physics.
Rachael
Not all elves needs a stocking hat...

Postby dpJudas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:52 pm

+DoomClip, +CarmackClip or +SillyClip maybe ;)
dpJudas

Postby Enjay » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Demmit! you can't just say c-l-i-p three times without there being consequences.

Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Rachael » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Looks like we clipped right into a relic, there.
Rachael

Postby Nash » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:37 pm

So there's two things being suggested here, both using similar depth testing techniques...

1) OP soft clipping for special effects (smoke fire etc): per-actor flag (would be a modding feature)
2) Sprite-in-floor rendering (affects everything I guess?): user renderer option

Now, I wonder what would happen if the user activates sprite-in-floor and plays a mod with soft-clipped special effect sprites...
Nash

Postby dpJudas » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 am

Soft clipping should always override sprite in floor. Likewise a +Hardclip would override any user option, including the current ones that try move sprites out of floors.
dpJudas

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:16 am

Now that I've been able to read the thread properly and look at this feature more widely, it certainly would allow particle-like effects to look much better. If it also provided an alternative way to push spites into the floor, that would also be cool.

I have to say though, now that I'm so used to sprites standing on the floor, the slight parallaxy effect you get when you move around sprites that extend into the floor looks obvious and weird to me now.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Jaxxoon R » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:20 am

If this can really be implemented that's vairynaiiice. I was always hesitant to use any sort of sprite-based mist due to the nasty clipping that would occur if the actors drifted too close to a wall, and just thinking of all the cases where that problem could be fixed is very exciting.
Jaxxoon R

Postby Bauul » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Sorry for the necro bump, but just wondering if anything ever become of this? As Rachel said, the implications for it are pretty huge.
Bauul

Postby dpJudas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:25 pm

I experimented a bit with the sprite-in-floor rendering in one of my experimental renderers and ended up concluding this idea doesn't work. I ended up getting a few rare situations where sprites appeared in front of walls/sectors that they were supposed to be clipped by.

As for soft sprite clipping (what Nash originally wanted), nobody has committed any work to that as far as I know.
dpJudas

Postby Rachael » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:31 am

This seems like a lot of work with not a whole lot of interest in it from the developer's side.

It may eventually happen, but it's currently not planned, and for now and to stop the necro-bump-pestering, I am closing this.
Rachael

Previous

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions