Keyboard Keybind Layout Switching

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Keyboard Keybind Layout Switching

Post by Major Cooke »

Spoiler: Old post
EDIT: Okay, I just realized thanks to DBThanatos that basically I'm suggesting a ZScript version of Exec. But with a safety cvar that can be checked, this will allow me to notify players that the execution is highly recommended at least.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Keyboard Keybind Layout Switching

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sorry, but keybindings are STRICTLY user side and there will be no exceptions.
You cannot blanketly assume that the layout to switch to is in any way beneficial to the specific player.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:You cannot blanketly assume that the layout to switch to is in any way beneficial to the specific player.
Speaking as a left handed player who finds WASD very awkward and at completely the wrong end of my keyboard and who has played a few ports or new implementations of various classic games where the "helpful" author has converted the game to "the much better and more modern WASD" setup with no option to change the keys away from that, thank you.

I'm not saying that WASD doesn't suit more people and I'm not saying that games shouldn't come with that as a default (provided they can be changed). I'm just using it as an example of people assuming that their preferences suit all users - and it doesn't.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

That's not what I meant, actually.

It's not blanket carpet assuming. You would have to set up the keybinds yourself since you won't have a system set up to begin with.

In fact, if you don't have a keyboard layout set up for that specific name, it doesn't do anything.

That's what my idea was revolving around.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”