Add Blade of Agony as IWAD?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Enjay

Re: Add Blade of Agony as IWAD?

Post by Enjay »

Quaoting 'cause new page...
Graf Zahl wrote:It's easier to just say 'no 7z for IWADS' than making matters unproductively complicated. A compressed Zip is better than an uncompressed 7z, which is ultimately pointless and redundant.
Keep in mind that Zips are opened by ZDoom code. 7z are opened by the 7zip library, i.e. in code outside our control.
I wasn't trying to campaign for 7z IWADS, I was merely trying to get a better understanding of how ZDoom (and perhaps other programs) identifies files as types it support before fully trying to open/decompress/whatever the file. Clearly, as far as ZDoom is concerned at least, it can't be on file extension alone because, as Rachael said, that's irrelevant to ZDoom's ability to open files.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Both WADs and ZIPs have a file signature that allows easy and quick identification. This could be very quickly checked for the files in question, I think... but then, we're treading the grounds where a simple idea becomes more and more complicated.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The current method tries all different formats in sequence. 7z is the only one that requires some more complex checks to validate, so the obvious solution is to just exclude it from the checking sequence for IWADs loaded this way.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Since Rise of the Wool Ball had been added, anyway, I figured at the very least BoA should have been added, too, so that was done in this commit - but I still think that the previous discussion applies. While we can keep adding iwad after iwad, eventually we should just add support for users to do it, themselves, and that discussion I think was the primary reason this wasn't done originally.

Also - sorry, but could not use gametype "Hexen" - it messed up the weapon slot configuration since there's more than 4 weapon slots in Blade of Agony. This will require a more in-depth fix later on. So you'll have to just live with the textual startup screen for now. :)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Thanks, Rachael!

The startup screen is the only Hexen-styled piece we are really using - there would actually be more work for us to do to make everything work properly if we used the Hexen gametype.

Should the latter part of this thread maybe be split into a more aptly-named feature request now so that it doesn't get lost?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd really prefer not to get half-finished projects added to the internal IWAD list - and this really needs a better approach.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”