I'm getting nasty thoughts...

:railgun:

:rocket:

:instagib:

:chainsaw2:

:chaingun:
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Sticky wrote:Maybe we should get rid of zdoom.ini and save things to the registry, too. And it'd be nice if zdoom would install itself.
Please dont say that, it burns :cry:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I think I shall take this time to show everyone my modified chainsaw smiley:

Haha, ph33r teh continuous sawing!

Also, I disagree with this request a whole lot. I'd like to update my Zdoom version when I want, not when Zdoom wants. Not only that, but what if I have an older version that I want to keep non-updated?
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

You suck at gifs! The background is white :cry:
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Also, I disagree with this request a whole lot. I'd like to update my Zdoom version when I want, not when Zdoom wants. Not only that, but what if I have an older version that I want to keep non-updated?
Check "Don't tell me again" then click "No". :P
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

Check "Don't tell me again" then click "No". :p
No... Not Again! AAAAUUUUGGGGG!!!! *jumps out window*
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

How about a compromise? If these kinds of dialogs were always labelled with either 'yes' or 'f-ck off and die', then I might be more tolerant of my computer asking me silly questions every three seconds.

edit: hahah, 'sarkus sark off'
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

"Do you want to update to version 2.0.64?"
[Yes] [No]
[ ] Don't ask me again [ ] Don't ask me again for this version (2.0.64)"
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Overkill is overkill and to implement this 'feature' more work than adequate is required. This is utter nonsense and again I have to ask myself why such stuff is suggested here and some people don't see the impracticability of it.

I repeat myself: This forum is in desperate need of moderation and some guidelines are required to keep this non-productive stuff out of here.

This is supposed to be a place where to suggest useful and sensible features to enhance the game, not such major wastes of time and effort with only questionable gain. This is again a perfect example for that!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Also, it's not as if Zdoom is a frequently updated program. How many times do you run Zdoom? When I'm editing, I could easily start Zdoom a couple of hundred times a day. Do you really want it checking the internet every time it starts just to see if the once-every-3-months-update is there? With something like an anti-virus program that updates its definitions daily, and only checks once at system startup, it makes sense (although, I tend to do that manually as well). But for this, and all the other reasons suggested above, for Zdoom, it doesn't make sense.

David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

And anyway, just how much work is involved in a manual update? The amount of work involved in making Zdoom auto-update FAR outweighs the amount of work saved.

On a purely cost to benefit analysis, there is NO reason to implement this.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

David Ferstat wrote:And anyway, just how much work is involved in a manual update? The amount of work involved in making Zdoom auto-update FAR outweighs the amount of work saved.

On a purely cost to benefit analysis, there is NO reason to implement this.

Exactly!
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Graf Zahl wrote:This is supposed to be a place where to suggest useful and sensible features to enhance the game
In other words, only features you think are useful? I think this is a sensible feature. At least sensible enough to not have it bashed on for being "insensible" and "unuseful".
Enjay wrote:Also, it's not as if Zdoom is a frequently updated program.
Another good reason. It's updated erraticly at best, which means people won't frequently check for new versions and can (sometimes do, if the bugs section is any indication) miss updates.

Alright, so maybe auto-updating is a bit overkill. I still think new version notifications would be useful.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Chris wrote: In other words, only features you think are useful? I think this is a sensible feature. At least sensible enough to not have it bashed on for being "insensible" and "unuseful".

No, I mean 'useful' in the sense that a feature benefits the community as a whole and doesn't mean that a lot of work has to be invested in a small minority's unrealistic wishes. Even if you only think for one minute about it you should see that it is impracticable to the extreme.

-Randy had to maintain a server to handle these requests and considering that ZDoom's user base is considerably higher than the users of this forum that could mean a lot of totally unnecessary web traffic.

-Someone had to program that server to do what it is supposed to do.

-And finally ZDoom has to be extended by code that can access this server.

Sorry, but this is wishful thinking of people who don't want to be bothered to do a little research by themselves.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”