Thing_CopyMovement

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Tormentor667

Thing_CopyMovement

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just another useful idea I might need for TNT4... well not need, but it would help me a lot :)

"Thing_CopyMovement(sourcetid, targetid, reverse-toggle);"
-> Very simple isn't it? The command is actually very easy to explain, the thing with the targetid just copies the movement of the thing with the sourceid relative to it's angle!.

This means, two things pointing to 128 actually do exactly the same movement if "reverse-toggle" is 0! If it is 1, they do the same actions as they are mirrored on a line parallel to their angle.

If one thing points to 128 and another (exactly the opposite) and "reverse-toggle" is zero, the do the same actions as if the are mirrored in one point lying the middle of both of them. If "reverse-toggle" is one, they do exactly the same, just looking in opposite directions.

I hope this explanation is good enough to easily implement this feature as it won't be to hard, will it? :)

Some more specifications
You could add a third argument, telling the monsters what happens, if the sourceid or the targetid die (f.ex. "if target dies, nothing happens, if source dies, both die and so on)
This should also work for multiple instances of a new target object, so you could mirror 3 times the movement of one object in 3 different angles.
There are also different cases if objects are of a different nature, f.ex. if you mirror the Baron's movement with the behaviour of a Demon (means, speed and stuff must be copied from the source)
Give the command another argument to set a "movementratio" on the targetobject, so f.ex. the TARGET just moves 50% the way the SOURCE moves, if "movementratio" is "0.5"
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Ooh! I am liking this idea! Used with a source object being the player and the target object being a camera pointed at the player, one could create third person mods, overhead view areas, or even side scrolling mods! And that would be freaking awesome. I definitely would like to see this implemented.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

I'm sorry, but I think that the usefulness of this is far outweighed by the time involved to add it to the source code.

Anyway, couldn't you do this in ACS?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

David Ferstat wrote:I'm sorry, but I think that the usefulness of this is far outweighed by the time involved to add it to the source code.
Doing this by ACS is by far more complicated and beyond that it won't be as powerful as with the hardcoded version. Beyond that: Why do you think it is that hard and time-consuming to put int into the source?
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

What would really be nice is if the damn teleport effect was taken out of the Thing_Move command :P

Then you can do this (pardon pseudocode).

Thing_move(thing_to_move, GetActorX(thing_to_copy)+offset, ....
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This might work but it would look odd if the facing direction of monsters isn't the moving direction. Same goes to the behaviour like shooting and pain animation, that should be mirrored!
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Tormentor667 wrote:
David Ferstat wrote:I'm sorry, but I think that the usefulness of this is far outweighed by the time involved to add it to the source code.
... Why do you think it is that hard and time-consuming to put int into the source?
Everything is, to a greater or lesser degree, hard and time-consuming to put in the source code.

The usefulness of the feature, however, is something else; I simply can't even imagine much use for this feature. Hence, for it to be worth Randy's time to code it, it would have to be really simple to do, and it doesn't look like it to me.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, there are lots of ideas I have in mind for this, consider special battles between to monsters or more doing exactly the same, just like you are in a circle. Or consider the SKYBOX_VIEWPOINT movement depending on the player's movement or just the movement of a special object in the map. There can be done so much more and I have hundreds of ideas for it :)
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Two words: Megaman Mod.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”