ACS read/write to file

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I have a suggestion. We could implement this in a way so that Zdoom only reads/writes to a specific file, whose filename would ALWAYS consist of a the wad's filename with a different extension besides .wad (for example, if a wad called map01.wad writes to a file, it would only be able to write to the file map01.zdf (or some other extension, it doesn't matter). Therefore, nothing gets overwritten or anything, because since their names are always the same as the wad names, and you can't have two wads with the exact same name in the same directory.

Also, in that text file, the data should be encrypted in some way or form. If it's just in plain text format, someone could open it up and change the stuff inside to "cheat" and stuff. :P
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Please explain how one could write a virus and infect your computer? i mean, sure it could write a virus by writing a string that is binary virus data, but the user would still have to execute it outside the game and if you ask me, if a video game wrote me an exe file, i sure as hell wouldnt execute it...

unless "writing files" includes adding a ShellExecute() or WinExec() or System() or whatever which ZDoom (or any video game for that matter) definately would never need

well, if you ran the wad from a batch file one could easily execute the written virus automatically once you finish playing ZDoom
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

How about an ACS functions that would write the content of a File or a Text lump within the current wad on the screen, something like hud message.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”