Easy way to make rain?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Bio Hazard

Easy way to make rain?

Post by Bio Hazard »

can we get a way to make a sector "rain" objects? there could be a command like

Code: Select all

Sector_Rain(tid,thingidtorain,raindensity,rainfrequency,gravity);
density would be how close the drops are and frequency would be how often they drop.

it would really help with making rain/snow as you dont have to put map spots evrywhere

how it would work is it would pick a random xy coord in the sector and spawn the desired thing at the ceiling

combined with NONINTERACTIVETHING this would solve a lot of the problems with making rain/snow
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Or even better.. some kind of mapinfo option similar to lightning where, instead of flashing F_SKY(1) sectors and playing a thunder sound, would spawn random rain particles in sectors that have F_SKY(1)? There could even be a ForceRain ACS command.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

See this thread to see what we need done first.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

*BUMP*

Has anyone thought about this? I really hate having all 500 of those map spots in Z1M9...
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Has anyone thought about this? I really hate having all 500 of those map spots in Z1M9...
Could try using a cross-stitch pattern of 2-sided lines in the sectors with sky, and add rain textures that scroll down. Make 'em large, with random starting offsets, and make multiples of them so they don't look like they're repeating from line to line.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Chris wrote:and add rain textures that scroll down
If you actually mean scrolling, rather than an animated texture that looks like scrolling, then it won't work because of the way Doom handles textures on 2S lines.

13 hours
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Enjay wrote:13 hours
Sux to be you.

Less than 5. ;)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

/me mutters "Bastard" under my breath

Ahem.

12 hours 49 minutes.

:P
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Chris wrote:Could try using a cross-stitch pattern of 2-sided lines in the sectors with sky, and add rain textures that scroll down. Make 'em large, with random starting offsets, and make multiples of them so they don't look like they're repeating from line to line.
God that would look tacky. Defintely not good for KDiZD. and plus, then I would have 500 2s lines all over the place ;)
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Bio Hazard wrote:*BUMP*

Yes this is the problem. Some pc's will melt due to the mass amount of raindrops and mapspots
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

TNT 3 did not even have many mapspots, and yet it dies most machines. I wonder what would be happening to your map then :p
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hirogen2 wrote:TNT 3 did not even have many mapspots, and yet it dies most machines. I wonder what would be happening to your map then :p

That was because the snow is active everywhere at once. With a smarter system that separates the map into sections and activates the snow only where necessary it would have been much less time consuming.

In the end it will remain an effect with needs a lot of time for very little visual gain. I just modified the script in the end and turned it off. Playability was more important to me.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

/me2, I ripped the script completely out. And I liked that there actually was a SCRIPTS lump, which - sadly - not every map author supplies...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hirogen2 wrote:And I liked that there actually was a SCRIPTS lump, which - sadly - not every map author supplies...

Especially with something like Cold As Hell. The scripts in that WAD created far too many problems and getting to the source to fix them was some really ugly work. But at least I got it working without the new HUD and the reloading (which sucked anyway.)

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”