Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

clipping mid textures

Post by Graf Zahl »

See here:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t= ... clipmidtex
Graf Zahl wrote:I just discovered this line:

Code: Select all

- Added support for clipping midtextures on all lines, because I think Strife
  looks better that way. (Even though it looks like Strife does not do this.)
Does this mean that ZDoom can now properly clip mid textures to the actual floor and ceiling?
Since I couldn't find anything in the code for this except that it is explicitly set when Strife is being played, could you make this a MAPINFO flag? If that was available it could greatly reduce the amount of maps that have to hack around this limitation. I think it would be greatly appreciated.

It was apparently completely buried in the General forum but this would be a really useful feature because right now you need awful hacks to do this properly.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

And it should include sprites as well. If part of a sprite is "under the floor" you currently get the lower part flashing in and out of view and it would be nice to be rid of this.
Risen

Post by Risen »

For sprites: No.
Most sprites in Doom have an offset so that part of them falls below the floor. This helps create the illusion of depth. Clipping them would make them all look very strange.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

Just look at ports that screw that up and clip them, like VaVoom and PrBoom's opengl (thank God for that offset option). It just looks dumb :P
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

MasterOFDeath wrote:Just look at ports that screw that up and clip them, like VaVoom and PrBoom's opengl (thank God for that offset option). It just looks dumb :P

OpenGL ports have no other option due to the z-buffer. What's dumb about these 2 ports is that they don't contain any means to deal with such sprites in a sensible manner. Most other OpenGL ports shift them up but that can also look stupid in many cases.

Re: clipping mid textures

Post by Guest »

Graf Zahl wrote:Since I couldn't find anything in the code for this except that it is explicitly set when Strife is being played, could you make this a MAPINFO flag? If that was available it could greatly reduce the amount of maps that have to hack around this limitation.
Would this option be just a mapinfo option or could we have a flag to set on a per linedef basis?

Foreverhood currently has to "hack" this limitation when decorating the ground with vegitation, since they are offset mid textutres scaled to look as if the vegitation is comming out of the ground. Its such a pain in the ass to manually calculate the offsets each time i try to decorate a sector with a different ceiling or floor height. Heres a screenshot; take a look at the left hand corner to see the vegitation i speek of.

skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

edit, thats weird, i was logged in a minute ago.
Graf Zahl

Re: clipping mid textures

Post by Graf Zahl »

Anonymous wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Since I couldn't find anything in the code for this except that it is explicitly set when Strife is being played, could you make this a MAPINFO flag? If that was available it could greatly reduce the amount of maps that have to hack around this limitation.
Would this option be just a mapinfo option or could we have a flag to set on a per linedef basis?

I'd do both. A mapinfo setting might be more useful but I could imagine that someone wants one setting globally and then change it for a few selected linedefs.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Why would you have a problem offsetting them? Just lower unpeg those lines.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

that works? i thought that only applied to upper/lower textures
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

skadoomer wrote:that works? i thought that only applied to upper/lower textures

:roll: :laff: :mrgreen:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

skadoomer wrote:that works? i thought that only applied to upper/lower textures
It's when you find out stuff like that you want to kick yourself when you realise how many hours you could have saved. Like the day I found out it was possible to select more than one line at a time in DEU back in the day... :shock:

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, something like that...

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”