ACS Networking

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

ACS Networking

Post by Macil »

Basically it would be cool to have some of the features requested at the editing forum post (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=5406). I would like to be able to download some information directly into a variable so I could do things such as unlock more areas of my level later using ACS.

It would be nice if we could also send info. But don't worry; ZDooM can't even open up files through ACS, so its not like its going to send your files. It can't even read strings from your settings, like your name. The worst it could do is report your screen resolution and your playing habits.
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

I like the online scoreboard idea
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Am I the only one who doesn't see any real use in this, not to mention that the amount of work required to properly implement it will probably be in no relation to the benefits?

Anyway, nice place! Finally something where I can post my crazy ideas to improve ZDoom! ;)
Risen

Post by Risen »

Graf Zahl wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't see any real use in this, not to mention that the amount of work required to properly implement it will probably be in no relation to the benefits?
Nope. But I didn't really have much to add that hadn't been said.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Wow... I started a meaningful thread...
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

Bringing about the thing by Agent ME, he mentioned something I liked. Teh ability to update bugs in a map by changing a broken line, switch, or sector through ACS checking an online database
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

OMG, get real!

1. Who is going to maintain that database?
2. What does it contain? If it is ZDoom exclusive it won't be of much use.
3. Suggesting others to do a shitload of work just so you can be lazy is pathetic.

I say again: The use of such a feature is totally limited and all the suggestions made so far are not suitable for ACS anyway. Despite the remote chance that it will ever be done it is stuff that should be in the engine, not the map! There is absolutely no need whatsoever to access stuff like this in a level!
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

Well, you are right. I mistyped what I thought, and am rewording it.

The database might not be the best way to do this, but somehow, if there is a small, 1 linedef messed up or something, and if it is widely known but nobody likes to do it, it could say, "OH! I should correct this real fast!" Even though it would be better to just do it on an individual basis, like me fix my own issues, etc.

I still like the online scoreboard.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

And that still would be useless for ACS because if handled it should be done by the engine, not the map itself. The same for the scoreboard. I see absolutely no benefit whatsoever for a map to be able to access this directly.
Your Name Is

Post by Your Name Is »

I know that now. But I just liked the scoreboard idea best.
Macil

Post by Macil »

Your Name Is wrote:Bringing about the thing by Agent ME, he mentioned something I liked. Teh ability to update bugs in a map by changing a broken line, switch, or sector through ACS checking an online database
Ummm... Pretty impossible. You'd have to tag every sector and write extensive scripts to control every sector and line and be able to interpret info from the database/file.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

No you wouldn't. Put a version tag on each map version, and just send a diff, for an externel program to edit....
Macil

Post by Macil »

charris wrote:No you wouldn't. Put a version tag on each map version, and just send a diff, for an externel program to edit....
But ACS can't start the external program! and I don't ACS to be able to download a file and save it somewhere. Because then it could save a virus.
Macil

Post by Macil »

Graf Zahl wrote:1. Who is going to maintain that database?
2. What does it contain? If it is ZDoom exclusive it won't be of much use.
3. Suggesting others to do a shitload of work just so you can be lazy is pathetic.
1. The level author most likely.

2. I think a ZDooM exclusive database is pretty useful. But the level author could probably make another program to read the database.

3. In VB6, I remember getting something from the net was just one command, and then several more lines could process that information. I can't see how it would be that hard to incorporate it. Then the level author would probably have to write more ACS code to read it, more than the C code in the hypothetical ZDooM.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Agent ME wrote: 3. In VB6, I remember getting something from the net was just one command, and then several more lines could process that information. I can't see how it would be that hard to incorporate it. Then the level author would probably have to write more ACS code to read it, more than the C code in the hypothetical ZDooM.

It's not what the end user sees, it's what the program is doing internally that matters. Randy would have to code it so some idiots can abuse this 'feature' to piss off the users of their maps - and that's all that happens. It won't be put to sensible use but instead you'd have to scan your WADs with a virus scanner. A scary idea. :(

And don't forget that many users would probably be pissed if a level tried to access a server via internet. I smell some bad Steam!

I still stand by my opinion that implementing this is a total waste of time for some highly questionable use. Everything which has been suggested so far for which this could be used it either nonsense or something badly thought out.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”