RGB666 color matcher

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: RGB666 color matcher

Post by Graf Zahl »

OK, now that things are clear, here's my take on it.

It seems like Hell Theatre already addressed my main gripe here. This entire PR came with the string attached 'either merge this or we'll have a problem' and sorry, that's not a good enough reason to merge some code I already voiced by reservations about twice. If this is so important to you, fine, but do not expect me to help you out in the future then.

Like I said before: You are maintaining the child port, if you want to keep the repos coherent, it's your responsibility, and there's definitely ways to keep the RGB666 code in without having it trump all over the place and making back-and-forth merges a hassle. I see little to no benefit merging it, except making your life easier - and that's simply not reason enough for adding it to ZDoom.

That being said - have fun. I have stayed away from cherry picking QZDoom stuff for good reasons, and that will remain so. This RGB666 stuff is definitely a roadblock that pretty much will keep both ports apart in the future.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf wanted the RGB555 code completely replaced. RGB32k removed. Completely. Gone. I did that. That took me hours - with lots of stress to boot.

When I did, he discovered the new code was slower. Okay, fine then. But what to do in order to salvage it? I certainly am not in the mood to create yet a whole nother copy-paste mess JUST to accomodate the RGB666 code. The drawers that are there ARE a text-book example of doing it wrong - the functions should have had pointers to the blending code, itself, not copy-paste repeat of every loop and every definition. Most of that stuff could have at the very least been put in a macro.

Then there's an issue with the 4col drawers - as it stands, they served their purpose - but they have long outlived it now. Hence their removal. Along with the rt stuff. A WHOLE LOT LESS CODE DUPLICATION.

You know what the point of that was? To make the code less of a BLOODY NIGHTMARE to deal with. So that no one else has to go through what I had to go through.

In doing so - voxels were broken. That's okay - that code was on the chopping block for refactoring anyway, since it was our goal to get rid of all build code. That's already half-done. But I am not in the mood to touch them right now, and with posts like your's and Graf's I am even less inclined to do much because I don't code well when I am in a shitty mood. So that stuff will just have to wait.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Hell Theatre wrote:I was a bit surprised by Graf's post that prompted this, but looking at it he seems to be right: If you want to experiment, feel free to experiment, but just looking at your repo, you are making it very hard to get stuff out of there, it's all an incoherent mix of experimentation, which should be local to your port, cleanup, which should be backported ASAP and a coding style that's not conductive to collaboration.
Maybe you should study the history of QZDoom a little closer. I had a PR waiting for over three months that would have kept the codebases in perfect alignment. Blame it on me if you want, but I am sorry, if anyone forced anyone's hand, it was ZDoom. You also seem to conveniently forget who spent the time backporting things in the interest to keep things just a little bit in alignment.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I will say it one more time: The "strings attached" came from nothing more than absolutely NO desire to maintain an additional dozens upon dozens of copy-paste lines of code in addition to my own for every little feature QZDoom got. Graf had the opportunity to continue the collaboration with us - he declined - THAT'S PERFECTLY FINE in my book - he didn't have to - that just means we won't be doing so many PR's against ZDoom in the future. ZDoom can live with its code the way it is - we won't touch it anymore. And we're not even done with QZDoom's cleanups.

And with that - I am done discussing this. I will get over this issue soon - but as for the drama here, it's really not worth it. The code is split. That's fine. I just reject anything that changes the r_draw* files from now on - that makes code merging easy enough for me.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Does that mean you'll also refuse to implement the overlay alphas and blending types?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Seems this will be the end of ZDoom. With no hope getting the software renderer into a better state I'd rather focus on GZDoom from now on.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

You mean just the renderer development, I assume. Obviously there's still much to do with zscript and the likes.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You really want to know: Screw ZDoom!

I am sick and tired of working on a piece of software that sees absolutely no guidance, no feedback, little input and no releases from its creator and me having no control. And with the current renderer situation from now on I'll just fix stuff on GZDoom and let ZDoom rot. Randi needs to learn this lesson the hard way. Those who want to use the software renderer should consider migrating to QZDoom. At least now there's an alternative if ZDoom falls into the abyss.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

So should I make all future pull requests to GZDoom then?

And all bug reports / feature suggestions should go where?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I am transitioning the bug reports to Github's bug tracker. Eruanna tried to set up a joint Mantis bugtracker but of course it all got sabotaged by Randi disappearing at just the right time again. I was somehow hoping that this would resolve itself but right now I'm just in the right mood to leave this mess behind.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

+1 for GitHub issue tracking and don't forget that there is Projects feature too.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I''ve opened an issue tracker on mine, too. Not my bug tracker of choice, but it'll do.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Will it also be a place to suggest for new features too, in terms of things like zscript and everything else? SLADE does it this way, marking them with tags (though I've no idea how to browse through them)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There is an 'enhancement' tag that can be set.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Graf Zahl wrote:I am transitioning the bug reports to Github's bug tracker. Eruanna tried to set up a joint Mantis bugtracker but of course it all got sabotaged by Randi disappearing at just the right time again. I was somehow hoping that this would resolve itself but right now I'm just in the right mood to leave this mess behind.
In that case, it would work to just ignore zdoom. I still think that the unified bugtracker would be really a godsend, because of already known reasons.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”