Multithreaded rendering

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Multithreaded rendering

Post by Graf Zahl »

Eventually that will go poof, too. As dpJudas said, one thing at a time. This was indeed the lowest hanging fruit to get rid of.

What I find interesting here is that 90% of the assembly's justification was make-believe, not fact. In the grand scheme of things the improvement here was perfectly zero, or even less, because this code utterly blocked any genuine renderer optimization that may now be doable.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote: [EDIT] should the CMake files be updated too? Those Assembly checkboxes should be irrelevant now... ?
That's merely the cached info. If you clean out the cache and start a fresh build, they are no longer there.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Graf Zahl wrote:Eventually that will go poof, too. As dpJudas said, one thing at a time. This was indeed the lowest hanging fruit to get rid of.
It did remove one build thing from the list. I rewrote the slab (voxel) drawer, as it was build code before, when moving the drawers to those command classes.

By the way, I forgot to delete the r_drawt.cpp file in my PR. That file is no longer used (replaced by r_drawt_pal.cpp).
Graf Zahl wrote:What I find interesting here is that 90% of the assembly's justification was make-believe, not fact. In the grand scheme of things the improvement here was perfectly zero, or even less, because this code utterly blocked any genuine renderer optimization that may now be doable.
Well, to be fair, in the early days the C++ compilers were a lot worse at optimizing and the maps were simpler. Back then they did improve performance. It is a nice example of how stuff once thought as fact can change over time, though. :)

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”