UI Scale slider

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

dpJudas

UI Scale slider

Post by dpJudas »

Pull request: https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/pull/792

Adds a global UI Scale slider to the HUD Options. It controls what the "Scaling: On" mode means for the other scale cvars. For example, if the new uiscale cvar is set to 2, and con_scaletext is set to On, then it scales all console text and messages by two. If all the scale cvars (hud_scale, hud_althudscale, con_scaletext) are set to On, then everything is scaled by 2. If the uiscale cvar is set to 0, then it uses 320x200 scaling (what the original On scale mode did).

The pull request also adds scale support to the console in general. And finally it changes the default to On for the scaling cvars so that new users can just change the entire scale in one place without having to enable it first in a lot of submenus.
Shadow Hog

Re: UI Scale slider

Post by Shadow Hog »

dpJudas wrote:The pull request also adds scale support to the console in general.
Worth it just for this.

That thing gets miniscule at 2560x1440.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thank youuuu!!!
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Nash wrote:Thank youuuu!!!
You're welcome. :D

Note that the status bar cvar is the only one not included by this patch. It seemed to affect all kinds of stuff (mods, player sprites, maybe scene offset too) and I didn't feel like risking breaking anything here as I'd have to fix it then. The full screen HUD does scale using the UI slider though.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I can understand that. Unlike the HUD stuff which is just overlaid on top of a full 3D view, the status bar actually messes with the actual size of the 3D view and I can imagine that'd probably be a pain to account for...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's two things here:

1. You repurposed con_scaletext for something it wasn't used for before. I run ZDoom with con_scaletext set to 2, but I'd like to keep the actual console scaled at 1, which is no longer possible with this setup.
2. I haven't checked if it is necessary but this may require some migration entry in the configfile code to switch to the new defaults.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Graf Zahl wrote:1. You repurposed con_scaletext for something it wasn't used for before. I run ZDoom with con_scaletext set to 2, but I'd like to keep the actual console scaled at 1, which is no longer possible with this setup.
Ah, didn't know someone would prefer a setup like that. I'll update the PR with a new cvar for the console scale.
Graf Zahl wrote:2. I haven't checked if it is necessary but this may require some migration entry in the configfile code to switch to the new defaults.
You mean so existing users will automatically switch to the new defaults?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not all, but all which are using the old default values. The config file code already has facilities for such migration, they should probably be used here.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Okay, I updated the PR with a con_scale value that just scales the console and added it to the message options menu.

Where in the code does it handle the migration thing?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's better. ;)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Question: now that there's a UI scale slider... is that "scale text in high res" option even still necessary?

Seems redundant to me to have a slider, and THEN another option that switches between on, off, double, quadruple...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nash wrote:Question: now that there's a UI scale slider... is that "scale text in high res" option even still necessary?

Seems redundant to me to have a slider, and THEN another option that switches between on, off, double, quadruple...
It's useful if you want the UI scale and message scale to be two completely different things - unscaled HUD but 4x-scale messages, for example (for those who play with high-res HUDs like NC HUD).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The UI scale slider can be toggled off for most of the old options. Take them away and some people may complain.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'm currently having it disabled. I have this problem with my HUD vs. ZDoom's fullscreen HUD; I like ZDoom's to be scaled up (stretched), but at the same time I don't want that for my HUD, since the HUD's elements become way too big and overlap each other.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Perhaps instead of a scaling on-off thing there could be a setting for which size is the threshold for HUD scaling. (Using the height perhaps, since width depends too much on aspect ratio.) SBARINFO has a resolution command, so something where a HUD that's 640x480 won't be scaled but a HUD that's 320x200 will be would make sense. Or perhaps you define the scaling so if you set it as 600, a 800x600 or larger HUD wouldn't get scaled, and a 320x200 HUD would be scaled more than a 640x480 HUD.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”