Use gme_set_stereo_depth when loading GME songs

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Shadow Hog

Re: Use gme_set_stereo_depth when loading GME songs

Post by Shadow Hog »

Wanted to apologize for being so damn blunt earlier. Totally uncalled for on my part.

But yeah, if this is a CVAR, I can just turn it off (assuming it isn't by default) and be hunky-dory.
StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StrikerMan780 »

It's fine. Like I said on the stream earlier, I've been a bit on edge.

Anyhow, on the subject of the feature, another reason I'm wanting this, is this feature goes very well with VRC7 tracks. (Lagrange Point specifically) https://youtu.be/drwX7MbB_IE?t=1375

EDIT: Ugh, I really don't like the prospect of not having at least *some* form of modder control with an optional override for people that don't want it. In-game, the change from stereo music to mono is EXTREMELY jarring (especially when using SetMusic mid-level), making the latter sound hollow as fuck. Without said control, my only choice is to resort to dumping the songs to OGGs with the desired sound, bloating things by double-digit MBs. I suggest a SNDINFO keyword. $stereodepth D_SONG <float>.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StrikerMan780 »

Edited previous (and first) post after thinking about this some more.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Added the CVAR. Any idea how I can test it?
Nash

Post by Nash »

What is the stereo separation really doing? Is it just splitting the mono song into separate left and right channels, and then delaying the right signal slightly, to give the fake impression of stereo?

I agree with what that other guy said that it will not sound good but if that's what it's doing, it's easy to detect (it doesn't sound rich like a REAL stereo song), just give me a WAD with GME music and I can confirm for you whether this CVar is working or not.
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

The stereo separation pushes each of the NES's square channels towards the left or right respectively. (Perhaps this variable also affects other emulated formats in different ways?) The attached example replaces the title music with an NSF track that showcases how this forced stereo separation can sound absolutely terrible with these songs composed for mono playback; the effect used with the melody in the second half causes it to jump rapidly between the left and right audio channels when the channels are forcefully separated by setting "gme_stereodepth" to 1.
Edit: Oh god, GME also adds some kind of light reverb when this is on, and it causes some "crackling". Why any of this
Attachments
NSF_test.pk3
(18.91 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”