64-bit Fluidsynth?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

64-bit Fluidsynth?

Post by Major Cooke »

The only version hosted on the wiki is the 32-bit version. Would it be possible to supply a 64-bit version?
randi
Site Admin

Re: 64-bit Fluidsynth?

Post by randi »

Don't know if I want to go through all the pain of recompiling all its dependencies for 64-bit Windows when I don't remember specifically what they were.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Personally I'd recommend switching to the BASSMIDI driver. It's got great sound and I think performs better than Fluidsynth. You also then wouldn't have to worry about an extra library for 64-bit ZDoom builds.
BlueInferno

Post by BlueInferno »

Bassmidi plays just about every soundfont flawlessly vs fluidsynth screwing up some soundfonts I used. CT8MGM.SF2 along with others dont run at all on it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

NeuralStunner wrote:Personally I'd recommend switching to the BASSMIDI driver. It's got great sound and I think performs better than Fluidsynth. You also then wouldn't have to worry about an extra library for 64-bit ZDoom builds.

But then you'd have to worry about a SYSTEM DRIVER!
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

BASSMIDI
No linux or mac? Your argument is invalid.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Graf Zahl wrote:But then you'd have to worry about a SYSTEM DRIVER!
One that's stable and works in any other MIDI-capable program, yes. I don't see the problem.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of course you wouldn't. I prefer solutions that don't include system features that may become broken in the future. The MIDI stuff already fell victim to this once.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

How's it any different from using any other system synth? But that's fine. I was just giving Major Cooke a tip to begin with.
Edward-san wrote:No linux or mac? Your argument is invalid.
I don't think he uses either of those. Regardless, a win32 fluidsynth.dll is going to be just as worthless on those systems.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Edward-san wrote:No linux or mac? Your argument is invalid.
I don't think he uses either of those. Regardless, a win32 fluidsynth.dll is going to be just as worthless on those systems.
It's quite easy to build Fluidsynth on Linux, and with some minor difficulties on Mac. Only Windows version requires very complicated setup to do so.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Wondering if there's a universal one where any of the three versions can just produce a re-usable dll by windows, mac or linux. If so, perhaps, in that case mental, you could provide?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

No, Windows uses PE, Mac uses Mach-O, and Linux uses ELF. They're not compatible with each other. And even if they were, the dependencies of the dll/dynlib/so would be different on the different systems.
VGA

Post by VGA »

I use Coolsoft Virtualsynth :-D

Although there is a little lag when a song is starting because it's preloading the 64mb soundfont I use I think.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Guess what! I built a 64-bit Fluidsynth DLL. Unfortunately, all it produced for sound was a loud high-pitched buzzing that drowned out all other sounds. (Maybe the scaling is way off?) No idea what I did wrong. Maybe I'll try again later.

Oh, and for posterity: The dependencies I needed were win-iconv, libintl, and glib.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Here: FluidSynth in 64-bit glory

Compiled with the default VS2013 toolchain, so it only works on Vista and up. Turns out I should have paid attention to the warnings instead of assuming they were benign (since the majority were about ptrdiff_t -> int truncation). It wasn't using config.h, so <math.h> was not getting included, which meant all the fp math routines were using the default prototypes that returned ints. Disaster ensued.

Building in 64-bit also revealed a minor problem I had with the original 32-bit build, so I redid that. Anybody using it might want to redownload it.

An interesting project to try sometime might be to "fix" it so it can use native Windows API calls instead of glib so that it can be built more easily for Windows systems.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”