[Added] Wall portals

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Wall portals

Postby Nash » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:05 am

Alright, thanks for the replies. Looking forward to see this progress! Good job!

Oh BTW I can't run the latest EXE:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "zdoom.pk3:compatibility.txt" line 390:
Expected '}', got 'DisablePushWindowCheck'.
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby ZZYZX » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 am

Nash wrote:Alright, thanks for the replies. Looking forward to see this progress! Good job!

Oh BTW I can't run the latest EXE:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "zdoom.pk3:compatibility.txt" line 390:
Expected '}', got 'DisablePushWindowCheck'.

Looks like you have wrong EXE/PK3 pair, try overwriting both from the archive (works for me).

Note that you might as well want to install it in different directory since my latest EXE isn't based on 2.7.1 despite what it says (I'm not having git in PATH, so version didn't get updated).
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Discord: ZZYZX#1394
Github ID: jewalky

Postby Nash » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 am

That was precisely what I did. I overwrote all files into my ZDoom directory. Anyway, I redownloaded the archive again and now it works.

Good stuff! It's so surreal seeing portals like this work in the Doom engine. And the moving train demo was equally impressive.

Also, I know this is still heavily WIP but I'm just leaving these here in case you haven't caught them:

1) Chase camera does not teleport
2) There is a noticable "bump" as the player moves through the portals
3) I tried putting a Baron of Hell inside the train but he won't shoot fireballs at me if I stand outside of the train; he just shuffles around like he's trying to look for me
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby NeuralStunner » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am

It sounded to me like AI still wasn't completed, so the Baron of Hurr doesn't surprise me.

Personally I'd be happy with purely visual wall portals to start with... Any engine-handled physics connection at all is an amazing thing.

On that note, might I make a suggestion? Some means (E.G. a flag) that is required to make physics-enabled portals. By default, portals would be render-only and (particularly in the case of stacked sectors in existing maps) avoid any increased overhead.
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby ZZYZX » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 am

Nash wrote:1) Chase camera does not teleport
2) There is a noticable "bump" as the player moves through the portals

This will be fixed eventually, but the priority is low.

Nash wrote:3) I tried putting a Baron of Hell inside the train but he won't shoot fireballs at me if I stand outside of the train; he just shuffles around like he's trying to look for me

--->
NeuralStunner wrote:It sounded to me like AI still wasn't completed, so the Baron of Hurr doesn't surprise me.

NeuralStunner wrote:On that note, might I make a suggestion? Some means (E.G. a flag) that is required to make physics-enabled portals. By default, portals would be render-only and (particularly in the case of stacked sectors in existing maps) avoid any increased overhead.

IMO that's a bad idea, since the wall portals were intended (at least by me) to be primarily a physics feature, to extend geometry. The visual part [without polys] is possible to do with current GZDoom already.

As a side note, the logical bug in R_EnterPortal that prevented working with mirrors has been fixed :)
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby NeuralStunner » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:25 am

ZZYZX wrote:IMO that's a bad idea, since the wall portals were intended (at least by me) to be primarily a physics feature.
To be more clear: It would be very bad for visual-only portals in existing maps to suddenly become physics-enabled. Unless you're adding completely new specials/things/whatever to set up true portals, they do need to default to render-only for compatibility reasons.

ZZYZX wrote:The visual part [without polys] is possible to do with current GZDoom already.
For walls? I don't recall vertical portals being possible already.
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:34 am

They can be done in a hackish fashion with stacked sectors. True non-interactive wall portals would be a good idea therefore.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby ZZYZX » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:42 am

NeuralStunner wrote:
ZZYZX wrote:IMO that's a bad idea, since the wall portals were intended (at least by me) to be primarily a physics feature.
To be more clear: It would be very bad for visual-only portals in existing maps to suddenly become physics-enabled. Unless you're adding completely new specials/things/whatever to set up true portals, they do need to default to render-only for compatibility reasons.

O, that's obvious. But no, I'm not modifying behavior of original ZDoom portals, I'm using a new special for that.

Graf Zahl wrote:They can be done in a hackish fashion with stacked sectors. True non-interactive wall portals would be a good idea therefore.

I guess I can just add another special for non-interactive portals (Line_SetVisualPortal?), since there's a lot of logic tied to Line_SetPortal already.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby mallo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:32 pm

YES!

Anyways, I've found two visual bugs. While the first one is really trivial and can be ignored, the second one can be distracting.
mallo
GO TO NEXT SECTOR.

Postby ZZYZX » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 pm

The first visual bug will probably get fixed eventually...
I'm not quite sure what causes the mirror bug, but there's a good chance that it's unresolvable. I'd advise to not use mirrors that way, although I'll definitely try to find out what happens there.

Update:
  • changed specials for Doom_in_Hexen compatibility
  • added visual-only special
  • added "destination ID" parameter to the special
  • the demo map now has a portal with switchable destination
  • yes you CAN have multiple portals pointing to the same destination, but it might bug in unpredictable ways (especially if using physics-enabled portals)
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

Postby GFD » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Awesome stuff in here; exactly what I've been looking for to make weird, non-euclidean Doom maps. I was about to make a reply when it looks like you updated the binary, so I'll make comments about both the previous and current ones.

With the previous binary, I could easily get it to crash in the Heretic map if I was using the powered-up Phoenix Rod. Either running through the portal while firing it, or firing it through the portal, using the freeze cheat, and then walking through, would make it crash. This report is attached.
An observation that broke immersion was that the powered-up Skull Rod didn't spawn rain on the other side of the portal as one might logically expect.

With this binary, the Heretic map crashes upon entry, and the polyobject test map doesn't seem to work correctly. There's a big brown box, but no portals or anything, and running or clipping into the polyobject makes it crash.
GFD
My brain's probably worth a lot of money!

Postby Gez » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 pm

I get the same results as GFD. Heretic map crashes when going to it (BTW it should be in the E1M1 slot, for Heretic), polyportal map doesn't seem to work. I noclipped into the northern room, and there after turning noclip off it crashed when I tried to go through a portal.
Gez

Postby Blzut3 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm sure you're already aware since you mentioned Eternity already, but please do make sure that your specials can be used to improve the Eternity Engine compatibility xlat. Particularly specials 376 and 377. I haven't checked the progress so far, but just throwing this out there in case it was non-obvious.
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby zrrion the insect » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:48 pm

This is an incredible thing to see. I can already see this being used in so many places. Keep up the fantastic work.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby ZZYZX » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:12 am

gamefreakdude wrote:An observation that broke immersion was that the powered-up Skull Rod didn't spawn rain on the other side of the portal as one might logically expect.

http://i.imgur.com/MHA3sog.png
Also the crash was caused by lines using invalid target ID, this is fixed.

Blzut3 wrote:I'm sure you're already aware since you mentioned Eternity already, but please do make sure that your specials can be used to improve the Eternity Engine compatibility xlat. Particularly specials 376 and 377. I haven't checked the progress so far, but just throwing this out there in case it was non-obvious.

I've implemented portals on 2-sided linedefs, but xlat is still impossible due to buffer floor/ceiling leaking into portal from the other side in ZDoom (apparently this won't happen in Eternity).
Last edited by ZZYZX on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin

PreviousNext

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions