"Nomenu" option for Skill definitions

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xaser

"Nomenu" option for Skill definitions

Post by Xaser »

I ran into a case a little while back where I could've sworn a feature existed, but turns out I was thinking of something else. This'd still be a nice-to-have given the circumstances, so I'll explain it:

ZDCMP2 defines two "new" skills (numbered 5 and 6; Nightmare is replaced entirely) which are dedicated to a "New Game +" mode where you get the option to replay the map against tougher, greater-numbered monsters while keeping your equipment. This made for a really friendly method of implementation since I could add the new new monsters as Skill 5 only and use some replacements on lesser creatures.

Trouble is, I did this with the knowledge that you could remove these skills through the menu by specifying "nomenu" in the skill definition, which as it turns out, is a nonexistent option (I was instead thinking of AddPlayerClass in KEYCONF for some reason). Hence the request -- this would allow us to forego the current hack of using empty graphics for the extra skills (plus a warning message telling the player not to choose them :P ), which looks rather odd.

Its main use, I suppose, would be to allow for repurposing of the skill options for things such as the above or doing something like implement a dynamic skill system without having to muck about with creating a Quake-style start map. Worth a suggestion, at any rate.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: "Nomenu" option for Skill definitions

Post by Ed the Bat »

I can also see this as very useful for a debugging feature. Changing circumstances via test-oriented skill levels has proven useful in the past, and something like this suggestion would allow for keeping it in for testing (or perhaps cheating, depending on what you wanna do with it) purposes, while keeping it hidden from the standard user who doesn't need it and shouldn't see it.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

I personally disagree with this "New Game +" nonsense since it feels as a cheap attempt to make a player replay the level by blocking him out of an alternative. What's the problem in having it as a "harder than UV" skill?

That said, I can imagine legit uses for "secret skill levels" anyway. Fors instance a secret in the first map which would allow the user the option for nightmare mode - kinda like how nightmare is a secret in Quake.

Just expressing myself here.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I'm not sure if I understand your sentiment. The extra-monsters mode is going to be horribly unbalanced for pistol-starters, and there's nothing forcing anyone to play through NG+ if they don't want to do it.. There's no blocking out of alternatives here -- it's an extra mode, and if it wasn't there, then UV was where it would stop. The only thing no longer available is Nightmare, which would have broken the map anyway. :P
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I guess what Nightfall meant was, instead of having to play through the game once to reach NG+, guys who think they're super tough should just be able to select it right from the start, without having to run through the normal mode once.

Not that I necessarily agree with that idea; I have no opinion one way or the other on this one.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, in terms of ZDCMP2-usage, I can only agree - and I am sure other mappers might find that useful as well.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Added,

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”