[Not needed] Dialog system font suggestion

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Dialog system font suggestion

Postby Eszuran » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:05 am

Per request from Doom Repository group, I'm adding my suggestion here:

Please make dialogue system more customizable, using its own set of sprites instead of this strange and hardly editable mix of console and big font.
Eszuran

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Re: Dialog system font suggestion

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:29 am

You can write your own display code for the dialogues in ZScript. It isn't really feasible to do this with configuration options and the existing code.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Nash » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:57 am

I was the one who suggested the OP to make this thread. To be more specific, all they wanted is to customize the reply selection cursor graphic. I was offering to do it as a PR, so I asked them to make a suggestion here so that I don't forget.

Here's an image from OP's mod:

(Image is from mod author, not by me, I don't have access to this mod)

They are replacing all of the UI elements with high res art, but selection cursor doesn't visually match because it's using the CONFONT glyph. Suggesting people to write a full ZScript conversation menu class just to replace one graphic seems overkill.

In this specific case, it's enough to just allow customization on the selection graphic, by making it its own graphic lump rather than use a CONFONT glyph.

I will see to adding the PR ASAP.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:03 am

The request doesn't say that. "Please make the cursor in the dialogue system customizable" would have been more appropriate.
Graf Zahl

Postby Nash » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:07 am

Understandable, the request does seem rather unspecific - it appears OP doesn't speak english natively (judging by their Facebook profile, which was where their discussion started) so there's probably some sort of language barrier here. You wouldn't have known, so that's fair.

@ Eszuran - don't worry about this thread being closed, I will make a new thread when I send the feature submission to GZDoom.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions