Infinite Map Zoom Out

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Trusty McLegit

Infinite Map Zoom Out

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58545
I think either removing the zoom out cap all together or adjusting it to the size of the map properly would both be suitable sollutions
_mental_

Re: Infinite Map Zoom Out

Post by _mental_ »

Customization of empty space margin for automap added in ebb926e.
You can set desired safe frame up to half size of the map using item in Automap options menu or using am_emptyspacemargin CVAR directly in percentage of the full map size.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Awesome, thanks for the modification!

So
am_emptyspacemargin is a number from 0 to 50 that determines safe_frame (which then ranges from 1 to 0.5)
safe_frame multiplies a and b, and min_scale_mtof is set to whichever is the smallest.

If safe_frame is 1 nothing changes from how it already is. As safe_frame approaches 0.5 both a and b become smaller, making min_scale_mtof smaller, and that allows one to zoom out more?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Yes, the lower minimum scale means smaller limit on visible map size.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

May be i'm missing something but i already can zoom out the entire map in e4m1 without this, which resolution were you using? My CRT monitor only supports up to 1280.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

You can always zoom out entire map. However the actual map view depends on the current video resolution.
For particular aspect ratios it's almost impossible to position the map to be fully visible.
With adjustable margin for empty space player can customize zoomed out map scale.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

I discovered this oddity on E4M1, waiting in the west room (where you get the red key) for demons in the NIN room. Using am_cheat 2 I tried to zoom out enough to see if they were going to come to where I was, or if they were stuck on something.

Perhaps if you're in the center of the map you can zoom out to see most of the map, but it would be nice if you were on the edge of the map and still be able to zoom out enough to see the entire map, where the whole map is on one side of the screen and its empty on the other side.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Turn off follow mode, using F key by default.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

True, but instead of just pressing tab real quick you then have to press the follow toggle key and shift the view over to map center. With high resolution even with the entire map on just half the screen you can see alot of detail. Doom came out with 0.064 mega pixel resolution, with source ports like GZDoom we now have 8.3 mega pixel resolution and beyond.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

_mental_ wrote:For particular aspect ratios it's almost impossible to position the map to be fully visible.
With adjustable margin for empty space player can customize zoomed out map scale.
Okay, added here as well. :)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I can increase empty space margin to let’s say 90% but that’s all I would do for this feature.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

That would be great, thanks. Can't wait to test it out.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Increased limit for empty space margin to 90% in de12902.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Wow, am_emptyspacemargin 90 made a huge difference. Not only can you now see all of Doom1 e4m1, but you can zoom out so far the entire map becomes a postage stamp! Not a problem though, this allows people to have any zoom they desire now, thanks! Can zoom in so far that the player arrow fills up the vertical screen. I wonder why the arrow has 1pp printed, 1 police plaza?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That's DOS-age vertex art for you. Lines had no defined thickness because it simply was not needed, so they were always only one pixel thick.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”