Allow Custom Locations of OpenAL-Soft in CMakeCache.txt

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Csonicgo

Allow Custom Locations of OpenAL-Soft in CMakeCache.txt

Post by Csonicgo »

Once upon a time, CMakeCache.txt had entries for OpenAL includes and libraries, which has disappeared relatively recently. The version of OpenAL-Soft on my distro is outdated, and I would like to link the git version to (g)zdoom. I mean, I can do this manually, but it's still a pain.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Allow Custom Locations of OpenAL-Soft in CMakeCache.txt

Post by Graf Zahl »

Csonicgo wrote:The version of OpenAL-Soft on my distro is outdated,
Can't you update it, then?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

If you've built the Git version of OpenAL Soft, installing it with make install should be enough. GZDoom doesn't explicitly link against OpenAL at build time (unless dynamic loading is turned off), it gets loaded a runtime with dlopen("libopenal.so.1", ...) and will use whatever the system's search paths are for shared libraries. On (almost?) all Linux systems /usr/local/lib (where manually installed libraries go by default) is searched before /usr/lib (where libraries installed by the package manager go), and so should be picked up automatically.

Alternatively, you can set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to where libopenal.so.1 is, and it will search there first. Or set LD_PRELOAD to /path/to/my/libopenal.so.1 which will make the system load the library first, making the later call to dlopen return the already-loaded instance.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Chris wrote:If you've built the Git version of OpenAL Soft, installing it with make install should be enough. GZDoom doesn't explicitly link against OpenAL at build time (unless dynamic loading is turned off), it gets loaded a runtime with dlopen("libopenal.so.1", ...) and will use whatever the system's search paths are for shared libraries. On (almost?) all Linux systems /usr/local/lib (where manually installed libraries go by default) is searched before /usr/lib (where libraries installed by the package manager go), and so should be picked up automatically.

Alternatively, you can set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to where libopenal.so.1 is, and it will search there first. Or set LD_PRELOAD to /path/to/my/libopenal.so.1 which will make the system load the library first, making the later call to dlopen return the already-loaded instance.
Ah, thanks. I knew there was some way to do it, I just forgot how.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”