Quittin' on an underpowered laptop

Bugs with GZDoom Vintage builds. Same rules apply as with all other bug reports fora.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Quittin' on an underpowered laptop

Post by Guest »

It's an Intel i3 laptop with 4GB of RAM from around 2012, with integrated graphics.
It runs Street Fighter V with the Unreal 4 engine reliably but at ultra-slow motion speed.
GZDoom normally works fine, but I have this error occasionally, and it's always while loading a map.
The same map can possibly work if I start GZD again, but tonight, after finishing MAP01, it quit with this error at MAP02. I tried 10 times and it shut down every time (which is a first), mostly on MAP02 and occasionally already at MAP01.

"
Summary:
Code: C0000005 (Access violation: tried to read address 0063007A)
Address: 6667A6B1
"
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Quittin' on an underpowered laptop

Post by Graf Zahl »

Please post the entire crash log. That snippet is basically useless, although from the crash address it looks like it occurs inside the graphics driver.

Post by Guest »

That's all the crash log that I got. The center field was empty, and underneath was the error code I pasted.

I had been using the laptop all day, so I suppose it could be the RAM was full, and GZD shut down before the demand for available RAM could be freed up, --- or something... I really have no clue, just thought I'd post the incident.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ransom Gankinworth wrote:That's all the crash log that I got. The center field was empty, and underneath was the error code I pasted.
...What center field? Can you show us a screenshot of the error? Is there a "Save report" button?

Post by Guest »

The field where the save button is supposed to copy from is empty.

I believe it was related to clogged RAM on either the motherboard or GPU, perhaps in combination with 0-length linedefs which are present on both first maps of TVR!.wad if I read the error log before start-up correctly.

It was a one-time incident where GZD refused to start in either map01 or map02 of TVR and as I mentioned the laptop was under heavy load throughout that entire day. It's happened with other wads too but then it has always worked after just starting GZD again and just trying again.

Post by Guest »

http://www.mediafire.com/file/167udp7b8 ... t.zip/file

The "Send report" button isn't available for some reason.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ransom Gankinworth wrote:The "Send report" button isn't available for some reason.
I think that's because the dialog was a standard dialog at the time the feature was developed, and no one bothered to create a web script to catch these crash reports.

Return to “Vintage Build Bugs”