New Powerups like Skulltag

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

New Powerups like Skulltag

Postby Charles Hirringbury » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 pm

Could the developers add in PowerSpread and PowerProsperity from Skulltag? trying to do hacky methods with decorate or acs is not for me, i'm sure some people might benefit from this.

Yes, you might say "well, why not play in Zandronum then?" the UI in Zandronum is not the same as Zdoom and I prefer the latter instead.
Charles Hirringbury

Re: New Powerups like Skulltag

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:29 am

PowerSpread is an extremely hacky and invasive feature, therefore it was not added when the other powerups were implemented. The reasons for this haven't changed in any way. This feature is a no-go as it requires changing every single attack function, i.e. it won't automatically propagate to custom weapons.

Prosperity's problem is poor integration with the modern inventory system. A variation of the feature may be doable, but don't expect any support of Skulltag's original implementation.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby cubebert » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 am

Having some of the Skulltag powerups and pickups was something that I've wanted to suggest, but if it takes changing all of the attack functions to get something like PowerSpread working, it might not be worth cluttering up the code for it. Would a separate addon that uses ZScript to emulate Skulltag assets like the max health bonuses or the runes be doable?
cubebert

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:32 am

The max. health bonuses already exist. The rune system where you can only hold a single item from a given set does not, but that would surely be doable in ZScript - the entire inventory system is don in ZScript.
Graf Zahl

Postby Gez » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:35 am

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to create an alternative implementation of PowerSpread in ZScript by using an event handler. Basically: look for when a projectile is spawned by the player, then spawn two more with a slight change in direction. Not sure about hitscan and railgun effects, though.
Gez

Postby cubebert » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 am

I'm not familiar with ZScript, but I would think that if you could use an event handler to create two additional projectiles with changes in direction, you could do the same thing with hitscan and railgun attacks.
cubebert

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Gez » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 am

You can have events for when objects are spawned. The problem is that while projectiles are objects, hitscan traces are not, so you cannot use event handlers to detect a hitscan being used.
Gez

Return to Feature Suggestions