Projectile flag to prevent "Ice" attacks from freeze on kill

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Projectile flag to prevent "Ice" attacks from freeze on kill

Postby Lord Misfit » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:01 pm

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but a friend of mine on my Discord was asking if there's a way, or a flag to allow a projectile that does "Ice" damage to not freeze actors solid, and WITHOUT having to give each actor +NOICEDEATH individually [like in the case of a weapons mod that doesn't intend to modify monsters]?

I took a quick search in the github code, but I didn't see anything definitive on this, so that's why my question. o.o

EDIT: Friend reminded me that there is a flag of this kind for "Fire" attacks (SPECIALFIREDAMAGE) so they don't trigger an actor's burn state[s], but yeah, he can't find one for Ice attacks. Maybe we can get "SPECIALICEDAMAGE" for the same purpose if there isn't a means already? :o
Lord Misfit
Servant of Aetherius? Servant of Siel?

Discord: Lord Misfit#9594

Re: Projectile flag to prevent "Ice" attacks from freeze on

Postby InsanityBringer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:09 pm

it might be more valuable to create a generalized flag that makes any damage type whatsoever not apply their specific death states, rather than hacking in another one specifically for ice damage only.
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby Arctangent » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 am

There's the DeathType property if you want to do it per-projectile, at least.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 am

SPECIALFIREDAMAGE is a crude hack to replicate the behavior of Heretic's Phoenix Rod missile which only conditionally makes the player burn.
There is no good way to add something flexible here. Your best option would be to add an event handler intercepting WorldThingDamaged and do your mod specific things there.

What's your goal anyway? If you have a projectile with ice damage that's not supposed to cause a freezing death, what's the point of giving it that damage type?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Return to Feature Suggestions