Keep automap centred on player during camera views

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Keep automap centred on player during camera views

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:56 am

As asked about here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=70655

It would be nice if there was some way to have the automap stay centred on the player when camera views are being used. At present, if the player view switches to a security camera (or similar), then the automap centres on that camera. While this could be desirable, in some circumstances it can be problematic: giving the player sneak peeks at parts of the map he is not meant to see yet; letting people see the "magic" behind how cutscenes are constructed and so on.

Personally, I would find some sort of game override (in MAPINFO) to be preferable because I would rarely want the current behaviour and that would easily allow back-porting to older mods but if it was a modification to ChangeCamera, for example, at least that would allow future mods to use the option.

Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Keep automap centred on player during camera views

Postby Rachael » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:04 pm

I realize I am the one who asked this thread to be made, but I would propose a different, more flexible approach: creating a MapCamera field that points to any map object, which if null causes the automap renderer to render the Camera field instead as it presently does. The fallback could be customized too, as you propose here.

My only worry is that with yet another pointer field in the main actor object, or even if it's exclusively on the player object, how greatly of a chance this could affect cache misses, so I will wait for Graf's feedback on that.

I realize you don't need this feature so customizable out the gate, but I do tend to try and get in front of the "but what if" suggestions that others (not you) are infamous for here. :)
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Keep automap centred on player during camera views

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Enjay wrote:It would be nice if there was some way to have the automap stay centred on the player when camera views are being used. At present, if the player view switches to a security camera (or similar), then the automap centres on that camera. While this could be desirable, in some circumstances it can be problematic: giving the player sneak peeks at parts of the map he is not meant to see yet; letting people see the "magic" behind how cutscenes are constructed and so on.

It's always possible for the player to press 'f' in the automap to disable follow mode, and can move the map around to look at any part at any time. Not to say this should or shouldn't be implemented, just an FYI.
Chris

Return to Feature Suggestions