SwimFriction

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

SwimFriction

Postby ThatOneZDoomer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Is Friction the correct term to use for this? It seems to reflect better than something like SwimSpeed. Anyway, for players, you have nearly complete control over how fast they can move like walk and run speeds, and even separate forward and sideways speeds. However, one limitation is how fast they can swim. It seems to be hardcoded within GetFriction(). No matter how high your speed is, you'll be reduced to a specific speed while swimming. Also, if your speed is low enough, you can swim just as slowly. There probably is a way via ZScript to control swimming friction, but I've been unable to figure out how. Plus, a variable like SwimFriction means it can easily be controlled, even within Decorate.
ThatOneZDoomer
Still too lazy for a new avatar

Re: SwimFriction

Postby Zhs2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:52 pm

There are other hardcoded parts to friction acting on the player as well, such as friction set in sectors with Boom effect specials. It'd be nice if all control of friction was exposed to GetFriction...
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: SwimFriction

Postby ThatOneZDoomer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:06 am

Zhs2 wrote:There are other hardcoded parts to friction acting on the player as well, such as friction set in sectors with Boom effect specials. It'd be nice if all control of friction was exposed to GetFriction...

Yeah, better to expose all those hardcoded values as different friction variables for much easier modder control.
ThatOneZDoomer
Still too lazy for a new avatar

Return to Feature Suggestions