Question about ZDoom's Particle Fountains

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Question about ZDoom's Particle Fountains

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Hello, I would like to know if there is actually a possible way for a ParticleFountain actor derived class for making the spawned particles to be shown at full-bright? Because I tried to make a variation with the +BRIGHT flag, but the fountain particles keep appearing without any bright applied:

Code: Select all

ACTOR ShinyRedParticleFountain : RedParticleFountain
{
  Health 1
  -NOBLOCKMAP
  -NOGRAVITY
  +BRIGHT
}
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or currently it is not a possible feature... :?:
Cherno

Re: Question about ZDoom's Particle Fountains

Post by Cherno »

Not the answer you are looking for, but with ZScript, you could easily create your own particle fountain functionality, including bright particles, and add it to any actor.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Cherno wrote:Not the answer you are looking for, but with ZScript, you could easily create your own particle fountain functionality, including bright particles, and add it to any actor.
Yep, after thinking about it finally I have chosen to replicate, or better said, make an improved Particle Fountain with the help of A_SpawnParticle function, which allows full-bright mode and more customizations in generated particles.

Thanks for the tip Cherno! :thumb:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah, putting the bright flag on particle fountain will merely make the particle generator itself bright -- which is useless since it's invisible anyway! To get the generated particles to be bright, a different approach is required. Good thing that [wiki]A_SpawnParticle[/wiki] was added!
Nash

Post by Nash »

To be fair, it sounds trivial to check for the bright flag on the stock particle generator actors and simply spawn lit particles if the flag is detected.

Like everything in GZDoom though, not sure if changing this would make everyone happy with regards to compatibility.

Alternatively, a new set of particle generator actors (labeled "bright") could be added.

At any rate, faster results can be gotten by just DIY'ing it in ZScript. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nash wrote:Like everything in GZDoom though, not sure if changing this would make everyone happy with regards to compatibility.
I don't really have a way of checking, but I doubt there are many maps out there with custom particle fountains that were given the bright flag despite it not doing anything, and where the particles actually appearing bright would cause a real issue.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It might make more sense to use one of the thing bits in the level data to trigger this. Obviously only one of the extended ones because we all know how many people set the 'deaf' bit on non-monsters, for example.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote: Obviously only one of the extended ones because we all know how many people set the 'deaf' bit on non-monsters, for example.
I think editors are to blame more than level designers for this.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”