SDL Gamepad Reconnection

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

SDL Gamepad Reconnection

Postby bLUEbYTE » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:32 am

I'm using a wireless Xbox One S controller to play GZDoom.
Controller support via xinput in Windows has always worked flawlessly for me; including proper handling of controller disconnect and reconnect while the game is running.
After I erased Windows and moved on to Linux full-time, this is no longer the case, unfortunately.

With latest GZDoom and LZDoom, if the controller disconnects for some reason such as battery dying, or powersave timeout while I'm taking a break while the game still running, when I re-connect the controller, it no longer works. I have to relaunch the game with the controller turned on, to continue using it. I have tested this both with bluetooth and wireless dongle connection, and they both have the same issue. I'm using the xpadneo kernel driver.

As you can imagine this is quite a bummer. I believe newer versions of libSDL2 offer events handling around controller (dis)connection. Could it be made so that in platforms such as Linux, we have 'dynamic' controller connection support at runtime?
bLUEbYTE

Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Re: SDL Gamepad Reconnection

Postby bLUEbYTE » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:50 am

I take it that this won't be implemented, then?
I actually set up GZDoom in Wine, just for this reason. Not ideal, but I can't really complain either.
bLUEbYTE

Postby Rachael » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28 am

You only gave this 2 days. >.< Have SOME patience ... please?

There aren't a heck of a lot of devs here who both have a gamepad and who use Linux. Upgrading the SDL core may be possible however, but it has to be done in such a way that it doesn't break things.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby bLUEbYTE » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:05 am

HI Rachael,
Of course, fair points. I wouldn't hesitate to dive in myself, but I haven't done C/C++ coding in like 15 years... https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/a/73544 seems to be pointing to the right direction. I can only hope :)

Let me take this opportunity to thank you folks once again, GZDoom is an amazing engine all things considered.
Thanks
bLUEbYTE

Return to Feature Suggestions