FModelRenderer functions for setting renderstyle

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

FModelRenderer functions for setting renderstyle

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:51 am

This is more of an... internal thing. Since the topic was brought up recently again of being able to have model parts with separate render styles (a feature supported by the UE1 format), I've thought of finally implementing that. However, I have no way of altering render state from the RenderFrame function (which is where I'd put this stuff).

As I often say, there are parts of the GZDoom code that I really wouldn't want to touch in case I break something, the renderer being one of them. I hope this isn't much work.

Preferably, a way to toggle BRIGHT would be nice too, since that's also another option the model format offers. I won't bother with supporting the "environment map" and "no smooth" flags though, those can be done better with shaders anyway.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: FModelRenderer functions for setting renderstyle

Postby Enjay » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:23 am

IMO, "just" being able to have separate models on the same actor with different renderstyles would be a big move forward (and would certainly have avoided me having to make some awkward hacks in the past).

i.e. you could set additive, translucent, bright (etc) within MODELDEF and if a single actor had more than one model attached, the different models could have different renderstyles. (Bright perhaps less important because there is already some nice fine control over brightness using a brightmap).
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to Feature Suggestions