Allow animated help screens

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Allow animated help screens

Postby AFADoomer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Help screens currently do not check for or draw ANIMDEFS-defined animations, they only display a static texture.

I think that the fix for this is a matter of changing two 'false' values to 'true' in the Screen.DrawTexture calls in readthis.zs.

See discussion here.
AFADoomer

Re: Allow animated help screens

Postby Rachael » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:02 am

If it's as simple as you say it is (I have not tested it), I do not see any issue with allowing this, but there might be something Graf knows that I don't.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:29 am

It should work - with one caveat: Animations are not synchronized with the display. So this is useful to have animations on a screen, it is not useful for cycling through a list of help screens with different content.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Redneckerz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:39 am

Graf Zahl wrote:It should work - with one caveat: Animations are not synchronized with the display. So this is useful to have animations on a screen, it is not useful for cycling through a list of help screens with different content.

Crossposting for relevancy: Boom has had an undocumented feature that has Helper Screens:
Redneckerz wrote:Boom has an undocumented feature, called Extended Help Screens. Fraggle discovered this and used it to make a WAD containing a story from Sherlock Holmes.

To add to that:
I gave this some more spare thought some time ago - As i understand it, you could pretty much implement back stories using this feature, but it only functions in Boom and PrBoom.

If GZ can achieve something similar, and with animation, that could also be a good baseline for, i reckon visual novels? Would still require some work, but lets just say these Extended Help Screens have various amounts of purposes by the concept that describes them. :)
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Return to Feature Suggestions